How much did you guys make/lose in...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by twins_lawn_care, Sep 9, 2003.

1. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Just getting an idea on our first year in business here, and was curious how much some of you guys made, or lost, in your first year of operation?
    It may be uplifting to hear some other people's experiences while I am going over all of our records.

Any thoughts and comments are welcome, as well as tips to help my books. We are a legit business who pay taxes, insurance, etc., and have heard such tips as buy new equipment end of year to try and not show a profit, etc. Tips like that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all of your help, as I know it will start coming in!
    :D

2. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty much my first year and after fall cleanups I will have grossed about 20,000. Hopefully lots of snow plowing this winter. With new equipment purchases that were a must, taxes and my expenses, my bank account is, well just say not very big.

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

As far as the government is concerned... Loss...Loss...Loss. :D

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

With all the money I spent in year one I wrote it down to pretty much zero. I picked up some good customers that year that are still with me today. Many have referred many $$ my way over the years. Years 1-3 will have some tight moments. After that things start to really pick up speed.

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

First year, I was very part time, and I made enough money to pay off our equipment. Second year, part time but more work, we made enough to buy more equipment and brought home a goodly amount. 3rd year was the charm for me, no major equipment purchases. The lawn business is still far better than most other businesses in that you can expect to start bringing in a profit quickly. If you can do it smartly, you can avoid a lot of the major overhead that other businesses have to deal with and have a nice margin quickly. But it all depends on how hard you are willing to work, and if you go all out and buy all kinds of equipment at first, or slowly add pieces as you an afford them (I did the latter).

Good luck.

6. twins_lawn_care

Thanks for the help guys,
    MTDmaster, we are taking your same approach, buying equipment slowly as we can afford it, and as jobs require it.
    I think we will be close to even by the end of the year, which would be a great start, considering this included a vehicle and all of our equipment. Our goal is to save up enough to go with a larger walk behind next year, as we are only using 21" so far.
    Keep the advice rolling in!

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

was in the red the first two years. First year in the red about $1,200, second year in the red about $3,300 (and it was because I went out and bought three new snowthrowers at the end of November)

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

That's for me, my CPA, Uncle Sam, and I guess the wife too, to know.
    Getting kinda personal here aren't we?

9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I make between

|-----------------------------------------------------------|

:p

Thanks for asking.......;)

10. twins_lawn_care

Ok, sorry to be so intrusive guys/gals.

What I really meant was I did not want actual $$, but rather how did it go. Just kind of trying to get an idea on how we are doing, and what to expect. For instance, like should we expect to be in the red for 1-2 years, or 3-4, or not at all, that's all.

I understand how you wouldn't want to give out money info, no problem.

Thanks for the responses though.