1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much did you spend on advertising this winter/spring?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jake Wolf, May 23, 2007.

1. Jake Wolf

Jake Wolf LawnSite Member
    from NYC, NY

I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective way to get new clients. Is it flyers, mailers, word of mouth, paid referrals, website...?

I know there are plenty of routes for sales at 1-2x a month's fee, but can I acquire jobs cheaper on my own?
  2. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

I developed a website and optimized it over the winter. We are getting great results! There is 15 to 20 calls a week generated from the website! Of course we don't land them all, but we are booking well in advance.

Website cost me $10 for the domain plus $12 per month.

I wish I had started with the website 3 years ago! Just make sure you optimize, otherwise... if you have a website and no one knows about it, do you really have a website?
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not enough :laugh:
  4. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

$3000 in flyers but a lot of it was wasted because I got so flooded with calls I couldn't do a lot of the work. (Power Raking)
  5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

$1500... overloaded now!
  6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

About $200 on a newspaper ad - got 2 or 3 crap jobs from it. I think door hangers and flyers are tacky, so the majority of my work comes from referals and cold calls.
  7. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Please explain optimze. What does that entail?

8. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, about 32.50. I had to buy ink for my printer to print 100 flyers. And got 7 from that.
  9. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

To optimize your website means to have keywords, text and meta tags relevant to the product/service you are trying to sell. It is what makes your website come up higher in google, yahoo, msn, etc searches.

It lets the world know you have a website, or more importantly, your geographical area know you have a website.
  10. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

This year maybe $7,500?