How much did you spend your first year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brentsawyer, Dec 23, 2003.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Was reading the post "Spend My $10k" and someone mentioned that probably alot of us started out w/ a 21". Just got me wondering what everyone started out with there first year and the amount of money. Oh yeah, how about age and maybe even lawns.

I'll start.

$1,500 36" Goddall by Bunton WB. Still have 9 years later and still use. SOB won't die.
    $150 4'x6'Trailer, got rid of it asap and bought 5'x10' next year still have to store junk on and take to landfill
    $150 used Lesco weed trimmer 21 or 22
    $Free crapsman blower about two weeks
    $130 Lesco handheld blower still have I think
    $11,000 Nissan 4x2 4cyl. Pickup still have drove it for the first time in six months last week. Needed new battery and started right up, but couldn't get into gear while running so had to restart in gear and w/ clutch in it took off, real funny but strange.

That was it, I was 16 at the time and mowed 25 lawns my first season. I still remember calling all my parents friends asking to mow there lawns and passing out flyers whenever I could. I guess I did ok that first year.

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

My first two years, we had 2 21 inch crapsman mowers, a ryobi trimmer, and a hand held crapsman blower. 1st year I used my 83 buick Lesabre, and worked outta the trunk. 2nd year I bought a Ranger and worked outta that for 2 years. End of the 2nd year I plopped down $3500 for a walk behind (that I still have 6 years later), $400 for a backpack blower, and $700 for a 6 by 10 trailer. All of that big money we spent after we made it. For most of 2 years we busted our butts pushing small mowers and doing things on a budget. Scrubby? Probably, but I didn't have to go far into debt to start, and it's been far easier than making huge payments every month.

:D

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

First year i started with a $6,000 Toro Z, Free Toro 21" walkbehind, $625 5x8 trailer, which i still use for my lawn care portion of the company, and about $2,000 worth of misc tools.

Second year i upgraded just about everything. $2,000 worth or 2 cycle equipment, $24,000 Ford F250, $1600 6.5x16ft tandom trailer, and a new shop to store all equipment and trailer.

Everything is paid for in full except the truck. With interest rates so low id be a dumbass to spend all the money in paying that off now.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

601 workmaster trac. disc handtools tandom axle trailor and a new 4x4 F150 with plow. Paid $8,800 for truck & plow and made almost that much in the blizzard of 77-78. No one owned 4x4 then. I remember I took out a loan for $15K to get started. I know mowers cost that much now. But my first house only cost 18k, Times are a changing. Oh yea I had no lawns or installs when I bought everything. I like to call it incentive work and get jobs or loose everything

Happy Holidays All
    Mac

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my first year I started out with my fathers equipment, truck, and trailer. The only thing that I bought was a trimmer and hand held blower, which both total cost me maybe $500. I wasn't going to invest a lot of money into something that I wasn't sure of. The second year, I spent a little bit more, around $3,500 for a mower because I had the clients for the mower. I feel that you should never buy the equipment, unless you have the clients to support that equipment.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Now there are some words of wisdom.
    :cool:

7. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

This was my first year and I started out with:

1972 Chevy C/20 pickup (paid for)
    new 5'x10' BigTex $850
    Craftsman 21" $180
    Craftsman trimmer $99
    Featherlite 1500 handheld blower $70
    handtools etc. $100
    =====
    $1299

For next year I will have 1 million dollar policy, new Echo PB 403, Looking into a 36" w/b, etc, etc.

Looking forward to the year ahead.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Hey, whats wrong with the way I did it? Sink or swim, it seperates the ones who are commited from the ones that want a paying hobby:D And if you thhink about it prices charged would be alot higher, ya can't low ball when your house is on the line, at least not for long

Mac:laugh:

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

And some more words of wisdom!:eek: :cool2:

10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots!

I don't remember the exact figures but we bought:

three trailers. One flat bed, one dump, one utility.

one compact tractor with lots of attachments.

One Walker GHS with the diesel engine and a gas one shortly thereafter.

One Toro walk behind mower.

One Toro 325D AWD with a flail deck.

Numerous weedeaters, blowers, backpack sprayers, hedge trimmers, and a pole saw.

Two Chev. 3/4 ton trucks with 6.5l turbo diesel.

One Chev. 3500 panel van.

One Chev. 1500 p/u (used)

Lots of assorted hand tools.

Probably more that I don't remember.