How much dirt

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by driggy, Oct 25, 2003.

1. driggy

driggy LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants to raise an area 27' x 60' by 6"
    I figured 30yds. seems like a lot of product, are my calculations right? Will have to move by wheelbarrow, how much should we charge? We will probably have to seed. All help will be appreciated.

2. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

you will need approx 32.40 yards of loam. Ten you charge your hourly fee. I charge 50.00 per man hour for dirt hauling. Good luck with that wheelbarrow. Rent a skid steer.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

driggy--your math is correct.

you might want to check on renting one of the motorized wheel barrow type things.

GEO

4. driggy

driggy LawnSite Member

Skid steer wont fit through gate. Thanks for input.

5. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

6. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

1 yard per hour per man if you don't have to wheel more than 100' and the ground is level and even.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Economically, go with 16 yds. of fill, and 16.5 yards of topsoil. This will give you around 3" of each. This can save you money, which means more money for you.

8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yep around 32...we just did 20 tons of stone to a yard that was fenced. We asked if we could take the fence down....then used the Dingo....you really dont want to manhandle 32 tons. You didnt mention a fence so I'm just making an assumption.

I;m at a point in my life where I just dont want to move that much material by hand...and the "kids" dont like to do it either....lol

9. driggy

driggy LawnSite Member

Thank You for all your replies. This site is always so helpful

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Let me make sure that I under stand this. You plan on moving 30+ yards of soil with a wheelbarrow? I'd either have to take the fence down and use a tractor, or just tell them "sorry, I can't do it".