1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How much do dealers pay for a...(Toro)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EagleLandscape, Aug 25, 2004.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

So I went to go look at a Toro T-Bar Floating Deck 36" Belt Drive yesterday. Theyve got one for sale at $3170.00. I offered them 2700 and the guy told me I was dreaming. Anyone know what theyre markup is on these machines?

I don't have a problem paying 3200 bucks for it, but I'd like to save money wherever I can.

Also tried to RedMax EB8000 while I was there, all I can say is WOW. That blower kills my Echo PB650!!

I think the sticker price on the RedMax was like 560 and some change. Not bad.

2. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Well, you could probably save money in the beginning by going to Lowes or Wal-Mart.. you know, a place that knows nothing about the equipment they are selling, other than what they see written on the hood. Oh yeah, being big and multi state like they are, they probably get their units much cheaper than a dealer, and don't depend on mower sales for their supper.

So, yeah, go look at Lowes and Wal-Mart.

No hard feelings, ehh?

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

They aren't going to drop the $500 you ask I can assure you. As a matter of fact they wouldn't move any on the New Toro 52's I bought this year and I paid cash, but even at that they still beat the Exmark Dealers price and he dropped a whole $100.:eek:

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

$3200 for a belt drive?
    Sounds a bit high to me.

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

For the Floater with the Toro T-bar that might be about right though

6. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

I paid $3110 for the same mower this spring in Collyville. Toro, T-bar, 15 Kohler, 36 float, belt. Mulch kit was $165, installed. I didn't do much shopping around. This is the dealer in my area, and has always done me right on repairs. I would imagine this close to end of season it would go cheaper. ???

Though I would add that this unit has been PERFECT for my conditions. Only problem has been the front caster tires have popped off the rims once...could be from hard running (running into stuff :blush: ). Also, in thick Bermuda (as w/ most mowers) the mulch kit tends to make a row of clippings at the discharge side...takes a few extra minuets to blow off the lawn and disperse the lines of cut grass.

7. EagleLandscape

I've got an idea. don't be a prick...

8. EagleLandscape

But for the rest of the replies, I do appreciate it. Like I said, I don't have a problem with spending the extra cash, but its always smart to know the numbers on these things. I should be picking one up here shortly before steel prices go through the roof.

9. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I paid $2990 for the exact same mower you are looking at last year. It had been demo'd a couple of times. Its been a great mower.

10. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Well, here's another idea for you to munch on. Put up the money to become something like a Toro dealer, and then, when somebody walks into your shop, and says they'll give you $2700 for a mower that is marked $3170 on sale, then come back here and post what your reply to your customer was.