How Much Do I Charge For Edging?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contra, Jul 23, 2001.

1. contra

contra LawnSite Member

i am thinking of buying a commercial edger. How much should I charge if lets say I edge about 120 feet?

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you not include edging with basic lawn maintenance?

3. script

script LawnSite Member

Edging is usually included in my regular maintenance, but I do have one customer that lives in between two of my longtime regular customers that I do only edging for. It is two old ladies that cut their own yard and asked if I'd edge their yard when I come by to cut their neighbor who is a regular weekly customer. It takes me less than five minutes to edge (maybe 150 ft.) and blow the few clippings into the grass. I charge them $5.00, but I would not go out of my way just to edge someones yard or I'd have to charge my minimum stopping fee of $30.00.

Bobby

4. contra

contra LawnSite Member

im not talking about weedwhacking the edges im talking about digging the overgrown grass out of the sidewalks. Im trying to go around my neighborhood and edge non-client sidewalks to earn extra-cash. Sorry if I wasnt clear on that. But you guys have to know what im talking about.

5. script

script LawnSite Member

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I would then try to determine how long it would take to do the job and charge whatever your hourly rate may be with at least a one hour minimum. Can't really put a set price on that because depending on how overgrown the edges are will determine how long the job will take.

Bobby

6. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We still edge with a commercial walk-behind edger on a periodic basis. We edge with out trimmers in-between walk-behind edging.
    Edging with the walk-behind usually is done 2 - 3 times a year.

I really wouldn't try to pick up customers just for edging because of our stop fee minimum. It wouldn't be worth the time and money for us to charge a low rate.

7. Turfclippings

Turfclippings LawnSite Member

:blob3:

We bought a Stihl stick edger 2 weeks a go. We now edge every 2 weeks at 2-3 mintes extra per stop, and the improvement is amazing. I have edge with a trimmer for 6 years and finally gave in. But it was well worth it, it i have seen only one ither crew in town with a stick edger used. The walk behind edger is now in the back of storage.

Kevin

8. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I use both the stick edger and a trimmer to do edging. Not sure which one I like best yet ( you would think I would have figured it out after having both for the last 4 years ) .. Do you guys use the stick edger for doing beds too ???? I could not get good results so I stick to the trimmer.. When I have alot of beds to do I use the trimmer for everything... just to save time.. And I do the edging on 99.9% of my accts every week.. I think it makes such a diff in the appearance and quality of the work .. Keeps um happy and the neighbors jealous cause they don't have a good trimmer or edger .. sucks to be them .. the'll just have to hire me .. Heh Heh..

9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a stick edger once a month to keep the channel clear. As dry as our lawns are now we don't use it because of the sparks that fly along sidewalks. I started a fire on a lawn 3 yrs ago in a bad drought. we were just cleaning up the edges and wacking down weeds for a customer when i noticed a dry patch had caught on fire from the sparks. lucky for us we stomped it out but it burned an area about the size of a trash can lid. The customer never even noticed it as we hosed off the charred ash and planted new seed. He thanked me for telling him and said he never even saw the spot.