How much do I charge for mowing lawns

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Muffy, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Muffy

Muffy LawnSite Member

I'm just getting into the mowing business
    and I'm lost as what to charge people. Do
    I charge by the foot or do I rough guess
    as to what the footage is. For example
    what do I charge for a half acre or a
    full acre? Any help in this matter will be
    greatly appreciated by me.
  2. cks dad

cks dad LawnSite Member

Depending on is the yard flat with no obstacles.Is it hilly i take all of this in consideration.Plus are you trimming and blowingalso?Half acre cut trim and blow would charge$ acre with not alot of obstacles i would charge $65
    Hope this has been of some help.Good luck
  3. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

muffy(for real)........anyway ask around when you see other people cutting they will usually tell you.but here in missouri i dont cut anything for less than 25 bucks.i try to get 35 or 40/hr.remember do a good job and dont sell yourself short.always charge what your worth or youll be worth what you charge.dont be an under bidder to get hurts everyone........just my opinion
  4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I did an estimate this week on a 1/4 acre property and got the job for 40 bucks a week for every week in the year. Its like 2080 bucks for the year. We are slammed pack with new lawns this year. Advertising was awesome and worked great.
  5. Bluestem

Bluestem LawnSite Member

This is the most important consideration. Charge an amount that will allow you to stay on the property long enough to do a perfect job. If you underbid, you'll feel rushed and you won't do the job you should be doing. Starting out, you will bid wrong on some properties. We all have. Just learn from it. You'll be fine. Good luck.
  6. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

your an idiot, how are you gonna attempt to start a lawn biz and come on here and ask what you should charge....

Get a business plan.

YOu should have asked the sears lawnmower salesman when you bought the mower....
  7. cranium2001

cranium2001 LawnSite Member

I thought this forum was called "Starting a Lawn Care & Landscaping Business", not the "ask a question and get ruined by someone" forum.:cry:
  8. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

WOW dude.... your a real a$$hole you know?.... this forum is for starting a landscape/lawn business.... dont come on here calling people idiots like that.... just help him out .... jesus
  9. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

it's guys like that one that make me ashamed to be a human....we need to downgrade him to neanderthal status....(justanotherlawnguy)
  10. Lawns by Steve

Lawns by Steve LawnSite Member

I believe your the one that looks like an idiot, if you don't want to offer people sound advice then stay away from this forum. Your just wasting space and peoples time. As for the original question, like others have said make sure your not selling yourself short, figure out what you need to make an hour to support your expenses and to turn a profit and go from there.