1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much do I charge to contract my work out to a company?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Happy Landscaper, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Happy Landscaper

Happy Landscaper LawnSite Member

I am new to this forum, and new to the landscaping world as well. I graduated from college a few years ago with a Bachelor's of Environmental Design (Landscape Architecture) and I have not done any professional work with my degree yet.

I am currently seeking employment and I have had offers from landscaping companies to contract me for design work. They have asked me how much I charge for a competed residential design. What is a good starting point to tell them? Or would it be better to charge by the hour rather than by the design?

Thanks for your help.
  2. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say charge by the hour but that is just my openion. I know when I was in landscaping our designer charged us per hour. I belive this is how most designers work. This way if they want revisons you just charge the hourly rate rather than working out a new fee for the revisions ect...
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Or what if you charge a set fee for the design, a fee for them to use the design, and a fee if they want any revisions. It's a way for you to make sure that your work stays your work.