How much do I charge

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by roofer, Jun 14, 2006.

1. roofer

roofer LawnSite Member

I have to fill in 3 small holes with top soil 12 inches x 12 inches each hole then seed & straw. Then I have to Fill in with topsoil ,Rake, Seed & straw an area 43 inches long X 36 inches wide. I have to haul topsoil in and one way is 24 miles. I also supply seed & straw 2 men to install.How much should I charge
  2. sbc1971

sbc1971 LawnSite Member

You will do this job yourself in 10 mins. What are the two men for?
  3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Get rid of those two men!
  4. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I agree, put those 2 guys on a route and have them cut while your filling the holes.

I know a kid near me who does the same thing, He has himself and three workers goto a job that takes 2 and hour to do,, meanwhile he's on the phone for that hour..

Ask yourself not what to charge but, What does it cost you from point A to B, (fuel, your time, materials, etc...) Its too hard for us to tell you what to charge when we all pay different amounts for insurance etc...

Figure out what you need to get per hour in order to make some money to pay all your bills etc.. The more you work (longer hours) the easier it will be to pay your bills. Then you can save for new equipment when the day comes when you need it.

Sorry to babble but,,
  5. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Estimating is more than how much you want to make. That's important, but you can also get a feel for how much the customer is willing to pay.
    When I quote, I usually ask the customer when they plan on doing the work, who else is bidding(I ask that one straight out), and sometimes I'll even throw a number at them... you'd be surprised what kind of answers you get back.

More than once I asked the questions and I was surprised to find out I was the only bid they were planning for various reasons(time restraints, others too busy to bid etc...) and I was able to double or triple my bid because of that info. Don't underestimate your best friend and helper when estimating---your customer! Just a thought.
  6. lawns4less

lawns4less LawnSite Member

I am a firm believer that persepton is everything. Im new to the lawn business. Owned a construction co. until I got divorced (enough said about and I agree with the "use your customer tool". They will tell you in so many words what its gonna take. Some times if after you invest time in building a repore...not hours or nothing but you can just ask "Look Mr. Smith, I think we can put this together, what do I have to do to earn your business TODAY? Its just as easy for you to say no as it is for him.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Get 2 cubes of dirt on your trailer so it's only one trip.
    This weighs 4 thousand pounds, you need at least a 3,000 GVWR trailer with extra duty RADIAL tires, single axle is fine but no nylon / bias-ply tires. Check the psi, they'll need to be up to their max. rating of around 50 psi each.
    I mean, I don't know how deep you want this, one cube might do it, it might not...
    $25 for the trip, $25 for the dirt, $50 to spread and fill.
    3 pound bag of seed: $10 - get this on your way to get the dirt +$5
    Raking and seeding: $10
    Dunno about the straw, I don't do that but I'd guess $10.
    So, 140?
    100 if it's only one cube of dirt.

Far as the crew, the more men you bring along, the more the customer's price stays the same.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

2 things...First, How deep are the holes? second, leave the "2 guys" at home. By the time you windshield them to get the dirt, and windshield them to the jobsite, by the time they get shovels in their hand and their first scoop, your profits are gone.
  9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Price sounds about right. Should be a short job for 1 man, no need for anymore people!