how much do i charge?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ghettoscaper, Aug 3, 2004.

1. ghettoscaper

ghettoscaper LawnSite Member
    from NE ohio

i see that everyone on this page advises the charge of $50-100/man hour.... I plan on doing some shrub trimming and i want to know if i should double the price if i am working with another guy. Also, if i do come up with an estimate, is it uncommon for the price to be different upon completion of the job? ex. if it would take longer or less amount of time....or should i just come up with a solid number i am happy with and stick with it?

also should i charge the same hourly rate for bush removal and fence removal etc. I understand you guy's distaste for low ballers and i dont want to screw myself or workers in the area.. let me know what you think.. thanx

2. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as you state on your estimate that it is, as it says, is only an estimate and the price can fluctuate "at to a resonable amount". We usualy took a look at the job estimated the amount of time it would take and use that as a base price. We would then take an overall look at the job and decide what we truly thought was a resonable price to charge. We then used that as the estimate price, then if the job was taking longer or a bit harder than we had anticipated we would increase the price 50-150 If we thought it was going to be more we would contact the client and explain the situation. Tipicaly they would understand and we would work out a price. Just my 2 cents

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I try to give a fixed price, but if I'm really uncertain, I'll give them a range like "$500-$700". And I'll explain that it could fall anywhere in between.

A lot of customers get nervous when you charge them by the hour. I guess they picture workers goofing off more than working.

4. ghettoscaper

ghettoscaper LawnSite Member
    from NE ohio

good point, hoolie. thanks for the replies fellas.

5. sgl41377

sgl41377 LawnSite Member

I believe in a set price, I did a pond removal job that I thought would take an hour and half and charged $150.00. The customer was happy to pay do to the mesquito problem they were having. After doing the job, I realized it only took me 30 minutes. Well, my point is make a price that the customer will be happy with and you will be happy with. Use your judgement. I have been in business for 6 months and feel like I have done better by giving a set price, even if you work longer on the job, explain to the customer that it did take longer than expected, but you will honor your price. Your customer will be very happy, and that will get you more jobs.

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I will set a price based on the amount of time I think it will take. Then if I am faster I can give the customer a bit of a break. They always like to see the final invoice lower than what they expected. Even if it is only $15-20.

Derek

7. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

I got a customer wanting fire wood removed and hauled away. I told him $25 per man hour with 2 workers. I estimated 2 hours plus $30 disposal fee. total est. $130. He said, OK if it's not over $100. I told him this is an estimate and I can not guarantee $100. But, will try. His wife said, just do it and the estimate is fine. The lady is wearing the pants. LOL.