How much do I hate insurance companies? (Rant)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mattfromNY, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Progressive is owned by George Soros. He named that company right, eh?

I wouldn't give that jackazz a penny of my money even if it is cheaper.

2. Jon11

Jon11 LawnSite Member

I wasn't aware of that. But even so, for about a $1500 a year difference, I don't care who owns it as long as they keep treating me as good as they have.

3. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have been with State Farm for over 18 yrs. Have never had a problem with any claim. In the past 4 yrs we have had 2 totals and a collision repair and my premium has only gone up about 12%. I don't see myself leaving, they will have to get rid of me.

James

4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

How much should a small business alocate for insurance. I guess I'm asking if there is a 'golden rule' in the business world regarding how much of your budget should be spent on insurance, a threshold so to speak.
    In running my numbers and working on end of year, I am at 8% of total gross sales spent on insurance (liability, WC, commercial auto and umbrella). I feel this is way too much.
    Obviously, the answer would be to raise my gross, in turn lowering the percentage, as the insurance is almost a fixed cost (minus the WC, which is based on number of hours worked).
    Anyone have any feedback? good or bad. It is something I need to address. (Though, it is probably just b/c I live in the good ole state of NY!)

5. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

We are spending a little over 5% annually for our insurance.

6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

It wouldn't take me a whole lot more to get my gross up, in effect bringing my percent cost down, but man- when you think of almost 10% of EVERYTHING you make in a year going to insurance?!?! Mind boggling. Nevermind taxes and everything else. Where's that big circle 'Bang head here' ????

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

That's fine. This is a free country and you can do as you please with your cash.:waving:

I just can't give my cash to a self proclaimed owner of the Democrat Party and a Nazi collaborator. Even if they are cheaper.

8. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I have also heard bad things about All State....sorry about the problems that you had with them. I used Progessive and had no problems but have switched over to Peerless so I have one big policy with my liability and everything else.

9. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

wait till erie raises your policy EVERY year then wonders why you drop them.

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

You mean this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WcZJ3ww07U