how much do i pay my dad to help me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Apr 22, 2008.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i'm part time. i work full time (4-10 hour days) mon-thur from 2.30pm to 1am.

i cut lawn from 8am to 1pm mon-thurs and i usually mow lawn all day on fridays.

i'm considering buying some accounts from a guy in my area. it's about 8 hours worth of work. i would more than likely need to hire my dad for 2 days 4hours each day so a total of 8 hours a week.

he is retired and is looking for a little work on the side this year. i have no idea what to pay him.

2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Pete

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

heck ya that over 20 bucks an hour id work for that

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

whats minimum wage in your area? Not that you should only pay min. wage but it helps determine the cost of living in the area. Also what are you getting per hour? that seems to vary alot with area as well. Here in NY min wage is 7.15, cost of living is realatively high and mowing gets you 30-60 an hour. If i needed a helper I would pay 10-12 but your dad working would be a nice deal cause you can trust him to not abuse the equipment or milk thew clock among other things that will give peace of mind for you.

My 02, hope it helps a bit

5. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

Might has well pay him $20 if you can. It could bring more work too!

6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

You need to ask strangers how much to pay your dad? Just when you think youve read it all on here.

7. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

You get it figured out yet?

8. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

Two questions. How much does he need? And how much can you afford to pay him? And remember this, you probably can not afford to pay him what he really deserves, and if you could he probably would not take it no matter how bad he needed it. I know my parents are not the only reason I am where I am today, but I know they greatly influenced it.

9. grass disaster

deleted -----------------

10. grass disaster

well i mentioned it to him today and asked him how much he wanted. he said whatever is fine.

but i'm thinking 10-12 to start off.