how much do late payers cost you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 17, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have 2 clients, side by side. they both get standard maint= cleanups, mowing + ferts. both of them wanted, in addition to thier maint, bedwork and mulch. not a bad job for little ole me...........8 yds of mulch on each property, bed the tune of around $1500 for 6 hrs work, with 2 men. so, i figure this will work out great, i'll have the mulch delivered, i'll only have to pay one delivery fee (a smooth $35 back in my pocket) and save on wages , fuel etc from not having to visit 2 different sites. one stop, is nice. i figure my savings alone, for having the 2 jobs at one stop, is saving me at least $75, which goes right back into my pocket. i schedule the job for april 10th. wouldn't u know it, the one neighbor never made her april 1st payment. we went, did the other neighbor, and never even talked to the late payer. well, mrs late payer calls today b!tching up a storm, "my grass, it's terrible, my mulch , where is it?????" to this, i replied , " CLICK". the nerve of some people. who thinks i did the right thing by not doing her mulch? afterall, in bobby's world, if u can't make your maint fee payments, you get no extras. kinda like, not allowing your kids desert, till they eat thier vegetables. could it have been handled differently? hey, i'm just askin.....this lady burned my butt by calling + complaining
  2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

What's a late payer?

Don't you just charge their credit card after the work is done?

Invoices are for suckers.:laugh:
  3. bobbygedd

from NJ

no, actually i charge them in advance for work not yet completed. example: maint fees are due march 1st, april 1st, may 1st.......the march 1st payment was recieved, the april payment was not. we had yet to do anything on her property. we were set to do a cleanup + fert around the 5th of april, but the april 1st payment didn't arrive, so we did nothing.
  4. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

So now what, you refund the money? I am sure I remember you saying you require a CC for all new customers.
  5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

or their card before work is done?

bobby will now have to advertise again to fill that opening.

darnit... he reeled me in again..... i thought the midget here at the FLW looked familiar!
  6. grass-scapes

Wait, let me see if I can beat you to the reply.

Bobby says..." No, I am going to keep any money she paid me. She should have kept up her end of the bargain and paid me before I did any work at all. Its her tough luck she didn't follow my rules. I am the king in this relationship and she is just my pee-on. Its my way or the highway. I make the rules. Blah blah blah."

I just don't see how you have ANY customers left. I have an idea. How about you post that womans number on here and lets call her and verify your story.
  7. bobbygedd

from NJ

how about just answering the questions in my post. i'm getting pretty tired of u guys picking on me day, after day, after day. do u think it's nice?
  8. grass-scapes

No, but its fun.

Didnt you remember what your teachers taught you in elementary school? Let me refresh your memory...
    "Now little bobby g, you bring all this stuff on yourself."
  9. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

well i would have called you all day long till you talked.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I would not have replied with.... "CLICK"

I would have either explained or atleast had something 'smart' to say first.