how much do pavers settle during compaction or afterwards??

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by wheeliechicken, Apr 13, 2005.

1. wheeliechicken

wheeliechicken LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me how much do pavers settle during compaction or afterwards??

Thanks
    TH

2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

None if you compact right .

3. Masonman

Masonman LawnSite Member

If I have to match paver heigth to something like an existing sidewalk, I keep the paver about 1/4 inch higher. Then when they are tamped, they are flush.

They shouldnt settle afterwards if the proper steps were taken to prepare the base.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

when installed on a non compacted sand base, they will settle 3/8". then none...... if your base is right.

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Yardpro is right...3/8" is about right. If we are a little high sometimes I can get 1/2" with a hand tamper, but it's a PITA.

Chris

6. Simply Green L&L

Simply Green L&L LawnSite Member

What are you setting your pavers on, sand or screenings? 3/8" is about right for sand but screenings probably won't compact as much.

7. wheeliechicken

Thanks for responding.

I will be laying antique road pavers (4x9x3-3/4") on 1" non-compacted sand base, 8-10" compacted gravel beneath that. The patio will be against existing concrete driveway on 2 sides and I really want to get the elevations to match but its one of those things where I won't know if it is right until all pavers are laid and compacted which is why I'm asking ahead of time!!! So far it seems if I notch my screed board accounting for a 3/8" drop I ought to be all right but it looks like not all are in agreement here so I'm still a little nervous!

One more quick question, since the antique pavers don't have little "nubs" to space them apart, should I leave a little gap at all when placing them?

Thanks,
    TH

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

on a concrete sand base, use the 3/8" as CG and Yardpro say.

9. wheeliechicken

Thanks for the help. 3/8" did the trick. I've attached a photo of the finished work (the green on the pavers is from the tree buds that fell due to rain).

patio1.jpg

10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good! You did a great job matching up the wall with the steps.

Chris