1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how much do ya'll charge for tractor work?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by gumper48, Nov 6, 2005.

1. gumper48

gumper48 LawnSite Member

have run into some usees for a compact tractor-
    some holes to dig, stumps that need to be dug up, need fill dirt to fill in vacant mobile home lots-
    as ageneral rule, ball park amounts, how much per hr would you guys charge for tractor work-
    with my mowing i have it down to charging by the minute then rounding to the nearest $5.00.
    i'm in sw fla, so no snow moving will likely be involved.
    with my old kubota L175, no fel or bh just pulling a box blade i charge 50.00 per hr. am thinking that fel and bh work is a little higher.

2. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

Anywhere from $50 for "easy" loader work to close to $80 for bush hogging. Usually landscaping the tractor fee is hidden to the client but you still get your money for it. If I were you I wouldn't charge under $75 for any task just because of the effort to load the machine up and come out to the jobsite. For reference I'm using a 32 hp John Deere 4wd. Bigger machines can get bigger rates and vice versa.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

$100 an hr and a 4 hr. min. If they don't like the price rent one and learn to use it, that eats up 8 hrs fast and then they still have a crappy job.
  4. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

Good point OTD. I was beginning to think my rates were too cheap. An experinced operator can accomplish alot in an hour, might as well charge for that experince and expensive tractor. Just a guess here but I would bet I could get more done in an hour than a newbie tractor operator in four hours. Thanks for putting this in perspective. Thats what this site is about anyways. I think my tractor rates are going up next year. BTW what size machines are you running OTD?
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

30-40hp compacts diesels with fels
  6. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We have a L175 Kubota. This is a very small tractor (17 hp) and is limited to what it can do. We try to work in about $60 an hour for that unit. The Ford 420 (55 hp) gets around $125 an hour for summer and $200 an hour for winter.
  7. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

Here we are charging $ 50.00 1st Hr and $30.00 per hr after the Hr with a $50.00 Min
  8. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 LawnSite Member

I usualluy get $65 an hour weather it is excavation or Gravely work. I found it better to do brush hog jobs per job, after you get used to a big Gravely brush mows like grass. Excavation is a can of worms depending on what is just beneath the surface.
  9. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I charged $50/hr. when I had the old Allis Chalmers Big 10 and its front mount blade doing gravel driveways, filling in stump holes, ruts in yards, and levelling patio footings.

Probably will be the same when I get the JD 300 back together and start using it for that work. That manual lift on the Allis got old fast and I'm looking forward to using those dual hydraulics on the 300.
  10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We charge $65. pr hr, 4 hr minimum + a $75. transportation fee. Kubota B3030/ 403 fel.