How much do you bring in during fall cleanup?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by r_snowrider, Oct 20, 2005.

1. r_snowrider

r_snowrider LawnSite Member

Ok fellas, got my basic leaf setup done. Works great. 2 redmax 8000s, 16hp lesco loader, and a 22 cubic yard dump trailer. It's working great and I will post some pics when I get a camera. I don't want to run out and buy a walkbehind unless demand calls for it. My question for you guys is what do you generally bring in during one fall season just on cleanup. How many men do you have working and what equipment do you use? I am stoked, I know many of you hate it but I enjoy it. Probably because I built everything myself and it feels good even if the work sucks. Anyway let me know how much you are bringing in simply from cleanup. Thanks. Ryan
  2. skidmaster

skidmaster LawnSite Member

You should charge $35.00 per hour per man. Work wisely and don't sell yourself short. Figure in your fuel and dump expenses. If you need to give price up front overestimate. You set yourself up for a good porking that way. I always tack on an extra $10.00 for a twelve pack and a bag of sun chips
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

For $35 an hour, we wouldn't get out of the truck. It costs me damn near that much just for labor expense and taxes. $75 an hour and up is the going rate around me.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree, $75 / hour or more. All summer everyone has talked on this site about making at least $60 / man hour, so...... leaves are no different.
  5. r_snowrider

r_snowrider LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. Do any of you also have a ballpark figure of what you make during the entire leaf season? Obviously everyone is different but I just wanna see some numbers.
  6. With leaves for some its more hand. Which means less machine work, less $ per man hour.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

These statement contridict each other. Last year I charged $60 an hour and that was it. This year I will charge $65 an hour and a $10 dump fee...which should average out to $71.50 per hour. My equipment consist of 22.5 cubic yard grain truck, 16hp leaf loader, Walker mower...blowers, tarp and rake.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

That may be, but it's just like snow work, people pay me $75 / hour whether I'm plowing or shoveling. If anything, hand work should be more, because it's harder work.

With that said, I can't remember the last time I touched a rake. With the backpack blowers that are out there now, there's no reason to own a rake, IMO.
  9. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I can understand a large crew with good equipment charging that much. What about the small guy with minimal equipment? Is $30 to $35 per man hour still too low?
  10. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

35 is TOOOOOOO LOOOOOOOOOW!!!!! I charge 60/hr and i end up being too cheap. With the cost of equipment, i dont see how you can charge that much and make any real money. I like the 75/hr idea. I believe i will go to 65 this year though. I did 60 last year. But the last time i did 35 was about 8 years ago when i just wanted some extra cash for school.