How much do you charge for a gate?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jake78, Dec 5, 2013.

1. jake78

jake78 LawnSite Member

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering on average how much extra you guys charge when there is a gate that you can't fit your primary mower through.

I know how much extra time it takes to use a trimmer and how to price it to make sure that I make money. The reason I ask this question is more that I want to get a sense of how much extra customers are willing to pay.

2. dnc19694339

dnc19694339 LawnSite Member

Usually $5 but sometimes more depending how much fenceline there is to trim
  3. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't charge extra for walking/riding through gates. My charges are based on the time it takes me to service the property.

Estimated man hours to complete job times hourly rate equals price.
  4. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I have a mower for every application, so a 21" can get through the smallest gate. That being said I usually charge a $50 minimum for a push mower workout.
  5. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

That is what I do.
  6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Another option, especially on wood and chain link fences is see if the owner is open to the idea of another or larger gate. On wood fences it is possible to take a section and turn it into a double gate.
    ericg likes this.
  7. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

I think people over complicates his/her bids. I know I did when I first started.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

When it takes you longer to mow a lawn because all you can fit through a gate is a 20" mower You are Charging the customer MORE money because he has a small gate.

Always use small gate size and extra price as a tool to get customer to go for putting in a larger gate.

Riding is always better then walking. The more you abuse your legs when young the more they will hurt when old.

Besides the faster you get done because you got the customer to go for a bigger gate means you can gain the time to get another lawn done that day.
  9. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

No, I'm not charging more.

It is the price it is because of the amount of time it takes me to service the property.

When the client gets a larger gate, the price will become LESS than it was previously because now it is possible for me to service the property in less time.

At no time would I be charging MORE. There is no increased time to service the property, there is only a decrease in time.

If the property had a 6 foot gate and then the owner removed the 6 foot gate and installed a 30" gate the cost to service that property would then be MORE because there is an increase in time needed to service the property¬ÖThat is charging MORE.
  10. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Boiled down to:

Big gate you charge less

Small gate you charge more

Gate size will cause you to raise or lower your price. No matter how you slice it, reason it, justify it, explain it.