How much do you charge for cutting?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spitfire3416, Jan 10, 2013.

1. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

So I've been breaking down my prices today and I'm curious to know what guys are charging for 10k sq ft of grass.. not 10k sq ft lot size, but the actual area being cut. Just your typical mow, trim and blow. And assuming the land is flat without relatively any hills or major obstacles.

2. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

Where do you live? 10k sq ft would be about a $30 job for me personally in North Delaware. That is the going rate around here, most of the elderly clients ask for an extra discount so I will cut there's for $20-$25 if they can refer one of their neighbors. They always are able to get at least one neighbor, both streets that I did that deal on I will now have a combined 7 lawns all in the same size range with one corner lot, apprx. 15k sq ft.

In Central or Southern Delaware they all have large lots and most buy their own zero turn mowers. It all depends on where you live.

-Michael

3. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

That's a pretty small area, but I don't drop the gate for less than $35.

4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

For me, it is more about time than size. Time includes travel time, ease of loading/unloading, trimming, everything.

5. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

6. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

agree with hackitdown. Alot is considered when giving a price. I never measured a property, because they're all different.

7. spitfire3416

I'm in central jersey. Most houses that are 10k sq ft only have roughly 5k of grass though. Are you talking entire lot size? For example a 10k sq ft lot would take me about 25 min to cut by myself but I'm not really cutting 10k sf ft in grass.

8. spitfire3416

no i understand that but what I'm realizing now after looking at a lot of my customers on zillow is that my customers who are twice the size are only paying $40-45 a cut. the norm in my area for small houses are $30-35 for a small 10k lot. that's usually the minimum. but if i go and give an estimate to somebody with a 20k lot the most i'll usually get is $45. i'm starting to wonder if people just have some kind of cut off as to how much they want to pay. i mean why cut one lawn for $40 that takes an hour when i can cut another one for $30 that takes me a half hour. basically i'm just trying to see if other guys have this problem out there. if it's taking double the amount of time one would figure that they should be getting double the price. however, it just doesn't seem to work out this way...

9. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

10. spitfire3416