how much do you charge for grading and seeding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by newleaflandscape, Oct 6, 2003.

1. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering what you guys charge per square foot to grade out and rock hound a job and to seed it with like a brillion seeder and then straw it. I gave out an estimate for 16 cents a scents a square foot and the lady thought i was high. I rent the equipment i use so i guess im just wondering what going rate is.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Sounds about right if theres not alot of rock or grading to do and you will be doing at least 10,000 sq. ft. If your gonna loose a job to someone else make sure it was becouse your price was to high and not to low, people will pay for quilityand the ones that won't can always find lower prices.

3. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

actually there was a ton of weeds and ---- that needed to be cleared out and there was a lot of rocks i was going to have to grade out. and i think it was like half an acre

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I don't rent the equipment. and I don't figure my prices like most of the guy here. But I will give you an idea of how I come up with my estimate. brush hog weeds, tear up soil remove rocks and debris seed and blow on straw I don't need the seeder I just spread it on and drag over it. This is a one day job for me and 1 employee, $1000 for me $1000 for equipment I charge $500 day for employee plus materials, seed heavy 200# @ $1.25 plus straw 50 bales @ $1.50. Fert $50 So you add it up and I come up with $2,875. That is to bury the rocks and debri, if I have to haul it out I charge for that if there are an extra lot of rocks there will be an additional charge for additional wear on equipment. I also explain that to my potential customer how much I'm increasing the value of there property. One more word on this is if you hear about the guy that will plow and disk it for xxx amount of $$ I kindly explain to them I can't plant a farm field and he can't plant a lawn and move on to the next customer. Good Luck

5. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

around here the going rate is .7-.10 sq ' (commercial to residential, with prep differences too) , NOT counting the rockhound, as that's not usually a problem here.

6. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

we average around 15c -20c / sq ft rockhound/straw but i know guys who rockhound and hydroseed resi for 10 cents per sq ft.

7. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

12-15 for that job tops here.

8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

.05c for hydro seeding .03c for final prep with Harley rake. I dont do grade and I dont haul off rocks and sticks unless it is a real small amount. And I dont dig holes to bury stuff either. If it has to go then I charge extra depending on how much has to be moved. 1000sqft= $800. Now if they want it soiltested and and materials added to make a quality lawn, with a guarantee, the price just went up. I get a lot of people that do their own grade work with a tractor and scrapeblade, grown packed so hard nothing will grow. I just about wont seed it unless I can loosen it up a little with the harley rake first.