1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How much do you charge for Mulch Install?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by recycledsole, Dec 3, 2012.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Yes, per yard, how much do you charge for mulch installation? and how much do you charge for mulch (material) per yard? hardwood shredded mulch.
    thanks alot

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'm sure a quick search will pull up multiple threads on this topic, but for regular hardwood mulch right now, I charge between $72.00 and $75.00 per yard, purchased, delivered and installed. The price can vary some due to distance traveled from the nearest supplier, distance from trailer to beds, or terrain involved.

3. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

What is the price of the mulch material per yard

4. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I still have never fully understood this "price per yard" of mulch and how it can vary due to whatever.... Is it just throwing mulch on the beds or are you prepping them too as in edging, cleaning, etc....? I've had 1 job in 11 years that was mulch only. Most are clean, trim bushes, edge beds, pull weeds, install mulch. If I calculate it on a per yard basis most of my jobs would be $150-$200+ per yard. But I am an hours + material + profit = job cost type of person. If you're just actually only installing the mulch with ZERO prep I can see a per yard price working but still gets fuzzy. But again most of my jobs are trim, edge, clean, mulch...

5. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

This post is just for the cost of mulch and labor to put it down. You then add on your cost to edge if necessary, I never have to because my yards have pavers around landscaping. Also trimming is usually done a the same time, but its a separate cost. Customer's want to see the numbers broken down.

I usually charge:
    Mulch $60-$75 per yard installed
    small to medium bushes trimmed $5-$10 per bush

Edging can be a pain, and buy yourself a good spade if you do so. My spades are all metal fully welded and run $75-$125 per spade.

-Michael

6. MDLawn

Never have I ever encountered this for a job like a mulch or clean up that are below $2000. They want to see one price. If they want a job like that itemized they are not a customer for me.

7. recycledsole

from MD

Thanks alot everyone for the response

MDLawn- that amazing. How do you get customers who want the $2000 + jobs?
    That is fantastic!
    i have been charging around $60-$70/yard isntalled.
    thanks alot everyone

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

80-130 depending on the prep work. I go no less than 80 though.

9. MDLawn

Average for me has been in the $700-$1200 range. $2000 is rare and quite a large one. As in 12 yards of mulch, huge bushes to trim and tons of edging. What i meant by that $2000 statement was if someone wants to see a $700 job itemized theyre just cheap and really not in my plan. Big jobs with installs can be itemized if neesed. I won't take a small job for less that $350. Not worth the time and effort, been there done that. Small jobs seem to eat more time that larger ones. BUT I can cherry pick jobs with my situation. If I get "hungry" then maybe different story. But hasn't been that way yet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. recycledsole

from MD

thanks alot!