How much do you charge to cut an acre

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by hokis, Jun 23, 2013.

1. hokis

hokis LawnSite Member

What do some of you guys charge to cut a 1/3 acre, 1/4 acre, 1/2 acre, and an acre all with light to medium trimming. I am in the richer part of maryland (baltimore) I can do most of the 1/4 acre lots with a 48" walk behind and be done in 30 min and charge 25-30 bucks. However im not sure how to charge for the acre lots... does $70 sound fair?

2. GOATMAN GEORGE

GOATMAN GEORGE LawnSite Member

You need to figure out your operating costs. Then add profit and come up with your #.

+ use the search function, there a a bunch of these posts. Just because Joe charges $30.00 doesn't mean you should.

3. hokis

hokis LawnSite Member

so the best way to figure out cost would just be add up what every thing cost (on my side) then figure out how much and hour I want?

4. LBOperator

LBOperator LawnSite Member

Ad up your costs then determine how much you would like to make on that yard, while trying to stay competitive. Guys around here charge 75-100 for an acre depending on trimming. If you can mow it for 70 and still make a profit then your gtg. Always make a profit or just don't mow it.

5. GOATMAN GEORGE

Yes, add up all costs (include labor as a cost) then you can divide it into an hourly rate and come up with your cost per hour.

It is a good idea to have knowledge of your local market pricing to make sure you are competitive, but like I said before, just because Joe bid a lawn for $25.00 doesn't mean you should match his price.

6. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Quarter acre $30-35 + sales tax.

Half $40, three quarter $50, One acre $60 + sales tax.

7. GOATMAN GEORGE

Those prices are very, very low IMO.

8. Green Clean

Green Clean LawnSite Member

Ah the eternal question. One I have been looking for the answer to for a bit now. It seems that the $1 a minute formula might work out well, but research the area first.

9. hokis

hokis LawnSite Member

Quarter acre $30-35 + sales tax.

Half $40, three quarter $50, One acre $60 + sales tax.

So would I be in the ball park to say

1/4 - 30-40
    1/2 - 45-55
    3/4 - 55-65
    1 acre - 70-90

all involving light to medium trimming?

10. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would work out your numbers and let that dictate your price. Your area is your area so I wouldn't put much stock in what others are charging. An hourly figure should point ya right at what your price will be.

Best thing I did was quit worrying about what everyone else was charging and focused on my operation. Good luck.