How much do you charge to sand

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by JML, Jan 23, 2000.

1. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

How much do you guys charge to salt, how much for sand. Is it profitable, i was interested in buying a sander for next year. thanks<p>joe
  2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Sand can be very profitable. If you have the market for it. I guess it depends on your customers and locations. As for a sand/salt expert hook up with Dino, he can give your more info than my self.<p>Geoff
  3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Ice control will be your most profitable area of snow removal. We charge 75-90% of what we charge to plow.<br>IE: If you have a lot that you charge 100$ to plow, ice control will be 75-90$<br>Now you will be able to that work in about 1/4 the time it will take you to plow that same area, so you can see that it is big $$$$.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

Dino-<p>Will one initial application last for a typical storm? A typical storm here seems to be three inches or under lately. Do you go back and re-apply, does it need to be monitored or can you just drive away and forget about it? How long does it keep working? Are there any products that do this that are granular?<p>Thanks for any info.
  5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Wow that is alot of info that you need.<br>The answere at best is a maybe.<br>We have found that the magic-0 coated salt will last to about 2&quot; and then it starts to slush up. <br>De icers and anti icers all work on a % of dilution. <br>Lets say that at a 30% mixture rate of salt to water it will melt .2 of an inch of moisture, which = about 2-3 inches of snow depending on moisture content. That will work down to a working temp of about 5 degrees<br>So when that mixture is diluted to 5% at 25 degrees it will start to refreeze, meaning that it is time to reapply. Now if you are getting 2-3 inches per hour of snow(which is very heavy snow) you will have to reapply evry hour. <br> Now if that is all you get for snow is 2 inches it may only mean one application.<br>Now by preappling the material you will keep the bond from forming between the snow and pavement making it easier to achieve a black lot when you are done.<br>Of course it all takes practice, and no two situation are the same. and you should keep logs of what works and what doesnt. So you arent doomed to repeat your mistakes.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment
  6. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

We salt all our commercial sites: $300.00/ton applied for rock salt. Most sites are actually per time, based on a predetermined amount used each time.<p>I never thought of the 75%-95% of the per trip plowing rate, but that seems about right.<br>
  7. n y snow pros

n y snow pros LawnSite Senior Member

We find sanding to be our most profitable part of our snow bussiness.I agree with Dino we can make more money sanding in less time than plowing.We price ours at 90 to 120% of our plowing.Everybody has a plow not everyone has a sander,so those of you who own a sander should be compensated for it.<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200
  8. ADM Services

ADM Services LawnSite Member

Sanding is the most profitable for us as well. We are not even bidding on jobs that don't require ice control services. Besides the $$ salt gives us an element of control when it comes to our properties. <br>There are many variables, and it comes down to experience butt... we have found one yard of salt will cover between 40,000 and 60,000sq ft. This is a rage between the lighest app and the heaviest app. Our jobs are based on sq ft charge giving us our time and material usage. <br>We charge $130.00 per yard.<br>Which turns out to be $20.oo less then Lazers per ton rate.<br>We may raise our prices for next year, depending of the cost of the materials. well see<p>Andy <br>ADM Services
  9. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

I tend to disagree a little bit on the salting thing. This is my first year using a salter and i bought a Fisher speed caster 2, which is a convear taigate setup. We charge a modest $245 per ton but that is only 110% profit from my cost of 80lb. bagged salt. Add in the fact that I have to go get a pallet every time it snows, ( I use about a ton per snow) and then load it in the hopper, not to mention the fact that i am not plowing during this and I think I could make more money plowing. I seem to aveage about a gross income of about $125 per hour on salting when you include all the things required, not to mention the crappy gas milage with 2500lb of salt ridding with me every day. The point is I can make upwards of $200 per hour with my v plow for my truck alone. So I think of the salting as more of a service item than a real money maker. I am watching thes sites to see where I am going wrong for next year though. So kep up the advice, thanks
  10. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Doug<p>The problem is really your spreader. If you were to use a v-box, you could fly through parking lots. Loading a speed caster 2 must suck, you go through salt or whatever too quick. I know a guy who tried to use a speed caster 1. To spread salt and sand, it always got jamed, after the third storm he quit sanding, and took his 9' fisher to his speed caster. Note he got the speed caster used for 2 bills. <p>Geoff