1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Much Do You Chrarge Per Hour

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jcs Lawn and Landscape, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

Can you give me a ball park of how much you charge per hour
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Try for a dollar per min.
  3. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

is that for lawn mowing only or for yard work too because i would like to know both
  4. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

I know Im a scrub but id say between 30 and 35 and hour. By myself and nothing out of the ordinary like huge hills and stuff. Thats for basic mow trim and blow.
  5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowing only. Other stuff is usually $45/hr, unless it's something that i don't want to do then i charge accordingly.
  6. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I try 1$ per minute.But i also try an walk all lawns with a stick .an charge 4$ per k
  7. lawn_jockey

lawn_jockey LawnSite Member

I charge it out $33 per man per hour. I pay each man $9 but add in the over head of the job aka if you buy there lunch during the day or pay the employer income tax or whatever. Even if you have illegal workers I would charge like they are legal and you are having the normal cost of a legit biz. That way you don't have to change prices in the middle of the game when you grow or decide to go straight. I myself am dealing with this. I gave up on figuring out all my cost so I said 9/hr labor and 7.50/hr for hidden cost. Totally a wild guess. Plus I want to make money on that so i doubled my fee/hour and came up with $33/hr.

I charge this price for everything besides mowing. If it takes 15 minutes to plant a flat of seasonal color I double the price of my product and then add in the fee for labor of 15 minutes.
  8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

So are you saying your work is only worth that? In essence you're saying your work is worth half of the industry standard is right? If your work is worth the industry standard (about 60/hr) and you're only charging 35, you're giving your work away. No matter how you look at it, you're turning yourself and the industry into a door mat.
  9. shortgut

shortgut LawnSite Member

$22.00 to $30.00 per man hr mowing and weed eating with a $35.00 min charge. New Holland TN75 tractor work $50.00 min charge then $30.00 per hr
  10. allenh60

allenh60 LawnSite Member

I'm a newbie to this. I've worked for other companies for about 15 years and know the labor part of the business pretty well. A couple of months ago I decided to go solo and make a living like this for the rest of my life. Not doing so good at it yet but am still filled with faith and hope and motivation. Anyway, I only charge, for an average yard of just mowing and trimming and blowing 25 to 30 dollars a week. I figured when I started out, if I had only 20 customers at 25 dollars a week, I would be bringing in 500 dolars a week and thats more than I've ever brought home a week. I usually charge 5 to 10 dollars extra for extra work such as trimming bushes, pulling weeds, etc. That seems to be the going rate around here. Iv'e asked my customers that used to have another lawn care service what they were charging and it was 20 to 25 a week.