How much do you guys charge for top soil?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Jeds_Lawn_Care, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

How much $ per cu. yd. do I need to charge for top soil, Hauled in and installed?
  2. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I'll let you figure it out
    cost of materials +
    delivery fee+

how much you should charge the customer

Easy enough, right?
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I charge $50 / cube but then most of my jobs are in the 1-4 cube range, which is to say below the minimum trucked delivery.
  4. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

$62 installed a yard, 3 yard min. Thirty minutes in and out.
  5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Im just curious, when yall say $50 or $60 installed, are you including everything like $22 per yard of topsoil + $10 for deliver + $30 for labor or are you charging $62 in labor plus the materials etc.
  6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I charge $50 per yard with a 3yd min also.... Topsoil only costs $10 per yard here, and I have a dump truck.

So if it were to cost me $22 per yard and I didnt have a dump truck, I would charge $87 per yard but by that time its so much money per yard customers wouldnt want it, so it'd be cheaper to get bags.
  7. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

he asked how much do you charge the customer... if he asking a basic topsoil question dont u think he is new in the business

you could have gave a more helpful response with a lot less effort
    Trey Brandt likes this.
  8. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

I have a pulverizer now but go to a place who gives you extra. Always get a .5 yard like 1.5 or 2.5 or 3.5 or 4.5 yards, the .5 yard is complicated to do so they almost always give you a full yard, and with the over full previous buckets you will have more you lost on the half and you can round up on the yard. You always give them what you round up to but you make more money, now mulch same thing. Don't go to those rock places that sells tons of rock with no scales, and use 1/3 yard buckets and give you 2 scoops and tell you that is a yard. We have 2 of these guys doing this in Lee's Summit. That is why I am getting in be honest and fair it will pay off in the end.
  9. tlcolemanlandscapes

tlcolemanlandscapes LawnSite Member

thats real decent of you to talk to the guy like hes ********. im new to the business myself and wanted to know the answer to that question myself. but i guess you were never new to this business. thanks for the math anyway though
  10. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

how was that talking to him " like he's ********" ? are you going to come here for every job you get and ask how much to charge? he gave you a perfect way to figure it out. it is absolutley different for every person. im not trying to be rude but a thank you would probably have done better than complaining.