1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Much Do You Guys Charge To Cut 1.25 Acres?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevin11946ny, May 7, 2007.

1. kevin11946ny

kevin11946ny LawnSite Member

I Went To A House Today And Quoted Them $100 Which I Though Was Very Low Considering I Do 1/3 Acre Lots For $4o.

They Told Me They Had A Guy Do It For $60 Last Season How Could This Guy Make Any Money?

So Whats Your Average Rate For 1.25 Acre If Theres Say 10 Trees And A Fenced In Pool Couple Strips Of Grass Surrounding Garden Beds For A Cut, Weedwacking And Blowing?

I Live In A Rich Area In The Hamptons On Long Island Ny.

But This House Is 30 Minutes Towards The City A Little Cheaper Area.

I Figure $80 Is The Cheapest I Can Do This For And If I Feel Its Not Worth It I Will Just Tell Them I Thihnk This Is To Cheap And Cant Do It Anymore.

I Dont Want To Be Pissed Off The Whole Time Im Cutting This Lawn Thinkking Im Getting Jipped.
  2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

If you are in the Hampton's it is not necessary to even be bothered with something that trivial. There is enough money there to take care of any problems you may have without worrying about being able to make a high profit. When you work in an area such as the Hampton's, money should be the least of your worries.

If you think there is a remote possibility you are not satisfying your business objectives, "LEAVE IT ALONE".
  3. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

60 at the most here in tn.
  4. CutsForLess

CutsForLess LawnSite Member

If there is not a lot of trimming and objects to mow around I would get $70, it normaly runs about $60 a acre for the first acre then $40 to $50 per acre after that.
  5. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

$75 here in my neck of the woods for 1.5 acres
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Minimum I'd touch it for is 65, and that's with few obstacles. Obstacles and the "normal" amount of trimming, 70-75.
  7. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

1.25 acres is $61 per cut here...we do a 1.88 acre lot for $86 per cut (about 20 trees to deal with)
  8. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Just picked up a guy today for $65 just over 3/4 acre.
  9. kevin11946ny

kevin11946ny LawnSite Member

I might think of doing this for $80. Im just starting out in my area this is the only reason. Normally people in my area make around $100 per hour. Then again they also have 60 inch ride ons which can do the job i would guess 2x as fast as my 52" wb that i just bought for $500.

Just seems cheap since i can get almost $40 for a 1/4 acre which takes 20% the time as it would to do 1.25 acres and only get $20 more.

i wouldnt even be thinking of doing this house if i wasnt desperate for accounts. this is my first year and picked up 10 accounts since i put an add in the local paper 2 weeks ago.

things should be looking good from here on out hopefully with some 2 acre jobs for $200 out in the rich areas and belive me they will pay that much money.

for the hell of it a guy has a summer house and isnt out there yet and asked for an estimate for 1.75 acres with some trimming so i called up 4 local companies in the area and told them that i was the owner of the house and they all quoted between $180-250 for 1.75 acres.

now i feel confident to charge this much..

damn they all live in 5 million dollar homes on the average as much as 60 million.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I don't usually respond to how to price threads so don't take this the wrong way. I know you are trying to get an idea of how to price. My question back to you is how much do you HAVE to make? Your business needs so much money to run, you have to run at least even. You should be planning for future expenses which means putting some aside for unexpected as well as planned replacement. After all of that there is the happiest line, PROFIT. I have no idea what your expenses are and don't feel good about telling you a price. You certainly can charge what other companies in your area charge as a standard but you may be losing business this way.
    It doesn't matter if you are mowing a 6 million dollar house or a 60K house, its just mowing and just about anyone with a mower can mow the lawn. I have houses where I am in and out in 10 minutes with my equipment. I can be replaced there by a kid with a push mower for 1/4 of my price. You have to sell the owner (property manager) on you and what you have to offer but you have to know the minimum you need to keep the business floating. We all know the mowing part, you succeed when you know the "business" part. This isn't - jump your back reply, I hope it helps you. Good Luck.