How much do you make a year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramster2000, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Ramster2000

Ramster2000 LawnSite Member

This might be a little personal but, if you would like to, please report how much money you make in a year. I want to know if it is worth it to make a career out of this.

2. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

this'll give you an idea,I have 6 lawns,do them all with my 21" self propelled craftsman mower and $89 craftsman weed-eater(please,hold the comments)they usually take me about(give or take)an hour.granted,i'm biting my lip,but i don't pay taxes or have insurance(hey,im 15 and have 6 lawns,give me a break).The good thing about my craftsman setup(again,hold comments,lol)is that overhead costs are low.To give you an idea though,of how much one could possibly make,i've made approximately $2000...maybe more or less,but that sounds about right.I keep notes of how much i make,but i dont check them religiously or record everything so....anyway,ive managed to save about 1200-1400 of it(in the bank)......and part of the time i've been working at subway and been in school(but started subway AFTER school was over,otherwise,i'd be dead....dont overstress yourself).I'm 15,had no money to start this up,and have saved quite a bit..if i can do it you can.I know,i should invest in a walk behind or something,but thinking about next year.Oh yeah,ive only been mowing these 6 lawns since about mid march and its now mid june.....so about three months,and theres still 5 or 6 good months left of mowing this year.Also,since im just a neighborhood lawnboy I do in fact probably low ball a little(yikes,should i have even written this)...otherwise,id have no customers,im simply not professional enough..but I'm not gonna be stupid...a lawn you might charge $35 i might charge $30.....but most of my lawns i charge $25(professionals may charge $30..maybe more,but wont be getting too many customers).anyway,hope this helps.

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

gross=around 10,000
    net= 8,000
    14 lawns at around $20-$25 each.
    5 fert. accounts.
    cleanups
    trimming bushes
    snow removal
    I'm not sure how I should put in my mower cost that I bought last year and only used it in the fall.

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

are you licensed to apply fertilizer though?
    I wouldn't think some people as young as us would be able to obtain such a permit.
    Please Correct Me If I Am Wrong

5. danby405

danby405 LawnSite Member

Lawn mowing is what i would call the best buissness in the world it's like car insurance everybody needs it's. Anyone with the will to exceed and the ability to push a mower can make a living on this buissness. The customers are easy to get and the work isn't rocket science. 3 keys to be sucssesful

1. Don't take every job that comes your way ( sometimes you have to say no)

2. Do a good job !!!!! This is the best way to get good referalls and referalls uselly help you to get tighter routes.

3. Get at least 40 jobs this will provide you the income to live and allow you to save for the harsh winter months.

a small extra thing -- never let anyone else do one of your customers lawns until they've trained with you for a season this way they know what you expect!!!!!!!!!!

Dan
    Sucssesfully Green

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

not many going to tell you the truth on that one. i will tell
    you ,working solo you can make a living.

7. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i asked myself that question all through university-and that was
    5 1/2 years of asking.started in Feb 2000 on our own, and tried to do it right. Full corporation, top of the line equipment (21") mowers, and tons of advertising. just over one year later have a 2000 silverado and a 2001 ram on the road. my costs are a large percent of revenue, but get lower as time goes by and we grow. have'nt looked at the numbers in great detail for this year yet. Put it this way, i know guys that gross $70-80 thou Cdn. per truck. that's probably 50 thousand US. But, as i said,costs are high and i have a business partner, and obviously the bum takes half. Still far from rich. to be honest, could be making more at a desk pushin paper. I'm hoping and expect that in a few years will be making more money than i otherwise would in the workforce. And my degree makes a lovely paperweight

Andrewlawn all i can say for sure to you is finish high school, that can NEVER be a mistake.

8. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Two man crew per year average is 125K from talking with other lco's. This average is just that, you can do 5k or 200 k depending on your market, area and personal work ethics.

9. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

getmow- 125K thats an awesome figure. how does it break down? How do seasons set up where you are? In toronto we cut 6 mos May to Oct then plow in the winter. Cleanups April/Nov. I know hours per day and days per week factor in, but that figure seems out of reach for one truck in my market.

10. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Bubble Boy-He live in the U.S........that's how they can make that much $$$$$$

:p