1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much do you make?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by oaktree59, Jun 8, 2006.

1. oaktree59

oaktree59 LawnSite Member

Can somebody give me an idea how much some of you full time solo operators make in a year, and what time is too early to mow?
    Thank You
  2. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

1mil. per year just mow and blow !!! it doesnt matter what others income is, what we make and what you make will depend on the market area your in, and your own overhead... and as far as time, do you mean in the am? or the start of the season?? i leave the garage at 7:00 to 7:30 am
  3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Being in a somewhat similar climate as yours, you can expect to mow about 8 months out of the year.
    $ depends on a whole host of factors, the end result is up to you and how you manage your cash flow.
    Regarding the time for mowing, daylight.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am not a solo but I have been reading post on here for a few years and it looks like the average is around $30K. On the other hand there are a few from time to time that exceed this by a lot and that is understandable. We bid on an homeowner the other day that was almost $3K per year. If you had a few of those you could make some good money.
  5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Around here a solo operator can mow one lawn per hour on average, maybe 10 per day if everything goes perfectly, maybe 6 when **** happens. You can juggle maybe 40 or so accounts. Average cut is $45. Mowing is from May to October, 3 or 4 times per month. Add in $$ from clean-ups, mulching, projects, dethatching, aeration/overseeding. Subtract gas, insurance, equipment, truck, repairs, marketing, and aspirin.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are tax benefits to being self-employed. The tax burden on $50K in salary is higher than it is for a self employed person because of legitimate write-offs.
  6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

In a warmer climate like S. Okie, if all you are making is $30K per year, drive a truck.
  7. BdBLandscaping

BdBLandscaping LawnSite Member

if you live in kentucky how many months could u mow?
  8. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Retired, P/T, no hurry, less than 20 hrs/wk (much less) Avg=1,500-1,800/mo net. Waiting for two teenage grandsons to take over in two years