how much do you normally charge to spread a yard of mulch?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Matt_MapleHill, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Matt_MapleHill

Matt_MapleHill LawnSite Member

not counting the price of the mulch, would would you charge for labor to spread 1 yard. This is assuming the bed is edged.

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I pay anywhere from $16-$23/ yard for material and then I charge anywhere from $65-$100/ for material+delivery+spread. I use recycled double grind natural or dyed, and oak bark natural or ash dyed. I will also use cypress mulch at $6.25/bag spread or pine straw $7.75/ bale spread.

3. MTenterprises

MTenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $40 per yard (labor)

4. RandRlawns

RandRlawns LawnSite Member
    from tx

I am pretty new, starting this year, but I charge $35/hr. labor for spreading the mulch. I have already done enough jobs to know how long to estimate according to job size. I have been lucky to get the Premium mulch from Lowe's for $2.50 per 2 cu. ft. bag ON SALE and I charge $4.50 per bag because it is usually $3.99. So, as you can see, there is profit to be made if you get it on sale. I love mulch installs for this reason. Not terribly laborious and I feel like I get a good profit margin. As a matter of fact, I keep 12 bags on hand at the sale price, just in case.

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

You need to look for bulk mulch at those prices. Bag is easier but cost more. You are giving $54/ yard for your bags at $4/ bag. $33.75/ yard at $2.50/ bag.

6. ef200098

ef200098 LawnSite Member

The going rate around here is 65 a yard.

7. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

I charge my hourly rate for anything I do. Drive truck to mulch supply place, have it dumped into my truck, go to job, spread mulch, add up time start to finish and that is what it costs.
    1 yard takes an hour or less but it always depends how far from the truck you are going.
    Never never buy mulch in plastic bags from the big box stores, it's way to expensive that way.

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Just to spread it, 5 bucks.

9. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

$65 per yard a mulch installed.

10. Kkane97

Kkane97 LawnSite Senior Member

$40 installed comes out to $70 yard with material mark up and delivery if applicable the lowest I have ever gone was 50 a yard but it was 1/2 yards spread lol
    Posted via Mobile Device