How much do YOU pay to get your blades sharpened?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Jul 19, 2002.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thinking of offering sharpening service as a side biz. I live on a very busy 2 lane state highway. My house is about a 1/4 mile from the corner traffic light. When evening rush hour happens, traffic backs up about a 1/4mile past my driveway, and cars inch slowly up to the light. Was thinking of puttin out a SMALL sign saying.....Lawnmower blades sharpened and balanced . Or something along those lines. Just want to make sure I can get enough money to make it worthwhile.

So.....How much, and for what size or thickness?

$5 ?
    $7 ?
    $10 ?

More?

I know that WE can buy "popular" sized blades rather cheap for our commercial mowers, but how much is Joe Homeowner paying for a new set of JD blades ....???

The big push will be the dynamically balanced part. (really the easy part!!!)

The thicker the blade the longer it takes. Thin push mower blades are quick and easy, but I don't want some guy bringing in 1/2" thick bush hog blades and wanting a razor edge on them!!!

Any Ideas?

Also thinking that I could offer NEW blades to them. As I'm sure some blades brought in to me will be WAY beyond sharpenable. Some blades listed in mail order catalogs are only about $6. How much could I add on and sell them to Joe Homeowner?

This drought has my gears turning....

2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i know around here, often $13 or $14 U.S.

3. JJOHN22042

JJOHN22042 LawnSite Member
    from MA

$ 6.00 Each Blade here.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Are these prices including dynamic balancing?

And what size (thickness) blade?

.134 Push
    .150 Push
    .187 Push
    .204 Commercial
    .240 Commercial
    .250 Commercial
    .310 Large area mowers
    .500 Bush Hog Type
    ?

5. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Around here 95% of the blade sharpening gurus get the same price - $4 for regular blades and $6 for mulching blades.

BAMARED

6. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

$5.00 REG $6.00 MULCH
    I supply the balancer that Eric talked about waaaayyy back.
    No extra charge to balance.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Rick,

Are you making money at this?
    Do you do it? Or is this what you pay?

Its beginning to look pretty bleak for this to be a money making prospect for me.

I would need to get at least $10 for a 21" push mower to be worthwhile to me.

Hmmmm.....

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The money is there for sharpening blades. You need to use the blade sharpening as a loss leader for selling blades which is where the money is. You don't need to actually loose money sharpening blades but don't price it so high that you get a reputation for being expensive. The money is in the blades and belts. There is well in excess of 100% profit on a lot of mower parts and blades and belts are 2 of them. Let me put it this way. If I can buy Gator Magnums for $11.50 each how much money do you think is in a MTD homeowner blade that costs $20.00? Or a $50.00 MTD blade belt? Oh, and forget using the term "dynamic balancing" unless you actually have a dynamic blade balancer. A dynamic blade balancer spins the blade just like a modern tire balancer does.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

just think tls u can take a mans blades ,
    sharpenum ,and havum back to him ,with money in hand. before he makes the light.:D least u could at some intersections in charlotte
    i quit doing blades because the blade bolts would sometime be a bear to get off. now with my 12 volt impact ,i might start offering it again. if any body ever needs to mow again ,that is.

10. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

pened and balanced . Or something along those lines. Just want to make sure I can get enough money to make it worthwhile.

So.....How much, and for what size or thickness?

$5 ?
    $7 ?
    $10 ?

More?

I know that WE can buy "popular" sized blades rather cheap for our commercial mowers, but how much is Joe Homeowner paying for a new set of JD blades ....???

The big push will be the dynamically balanced part. (really the easy part!!!)

The thicker the blade the longer it takes. Thin push mower blades are quick and easy, but I don't want some guy bringing in 1/2" thick bush hog blades and wanting a razor ed