how much do you pay your employees?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by david griggs, May 6, 2002.

1. david griggs

david griggs LawnSite Member

were considering hiring someone to do all the trimming and edging, while we ride our ZTRs.

2. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

start at 7, pay 8 plus nextel phone bill monthly, and i have paid 10 but they know something and drive. this is all hourly.
    bryan

3. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

usually start at 8 and have paid as much as $10.50.

4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Why do they need a nextel if there just edging and trimming?

5. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

i think your thinking is backwards. you need someone to ride your ZTR's while you trim and edge, and spray weeds.

in my opinion (of course this is just my opinion) anyone can mow the grass. but, it is the little things done properly which the customer is hiring you to do.

I have been in this business for 13 years(employee), and our 3 ZTR's we have owned have put in over 4000 hours. of those 4000 hours, i have rode on them for maybe 400-500 hours. about 80-100 hours a year for the past five years.(we ran walk behinds only prior to that)

6. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

$12,$10,$9 and $8 for the new guys, I give one dollar raises every year and bonuses through out the year.

7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I've been thinking along these same lines (hiring a helper).

I have wondered though...what the heck do you do with them in the winter??? "Helper mothballs"???

If you don't have enough snow to plow and the green growth is dormant for 3 or 4 months what in the heck do you do with 'em???

I know that there are mulchbeds, cleanups, and such but still we have about 2 months of "nothingness" here.

8. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

sackedbysapp- my guy that has the nextel right now is my go to man. He can edge, mulch, trim bushes better than me. I can leave him some where and i know what the quality will be, abs nothing but the best. So i feel as though it is good money spent.
    peace
    bryan

9. swn

swn LawnSite Member

Start out at $7 an hour.
    I think that Ohiolawnguy is right about us doing the little things. I have never found anyone that can weedeat the way that I would like. I did this last year, but this year I have 2 new guys so I do most of the riding now.

10. roymcneese

roymcneese LawnSite Member

I THINK THE MORE YOU PAY UP FRONT THE LESS QUALITY YOU GET:blob2: