How much do you pay your labor?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ddthomas2, May 11, 2004.

1. ddthomas2

ddthomas2 LawnSite Member

I am thinking about paying my labor a percentage of the route. I feel that then I would not have to worry as much about if they are really pushing or not.

What percentage of your gross does your labor cost for lawncare?

2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck getting people to work with that. I pay between $10 and $15 per hour

3. Jimmyed

Jimmyed LawnSite Member
    from IN

I get 18, but i bust my ass on everything.

4. liltex

liltex LawnSite Member

i think $10 per hour is fair. at the end of the day it comes to about 1/3 of gross. that is your equipment and your labor for the other 2/3. this starts from leaving driveway till all equipment is put up.

5. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Hourly plus bonus
    % of route will getcha in trouble

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

How much do I pay my labor? Too much during windshield time and not enough when working. Current highest paid employee is getting $9.75 per hour. Will be at $10.50 by the end of season.

7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

$10 here....its amazing that some guys pay their workers 5 or 6 dollars,

8. ddthomas2

ddthomas2 LawnSite Member

Mike,

Why do you say that % of route will get you in trouble?

9. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Percentage really isn't a bad idea at all, as long as it is explained to the employee ahead of time. Think about it, if you are the employer, you want the guy to work as hard as possible. It doesn't matter to him how hard he works, he wants to drag it out as long as he can. However, if you pay him a percentage of the total, then the harder/faster he works, the more money he makes and he shortens his hours. Its a much better system, but for the employee or the employer??? Not sure myself...

10. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

The only time that paying a percentage can be a "*****" is when you know you can get more $$$ out of a job that normal and your employee ends up getting an extra cut of your "ability to sale something more expensive." I just pay $12 an hour, because this guy works well, and everyone else I hire I just pay 10 an hour. I pay my brother about 10 bucks for every 100 fliers he hands out. Comes out to be a little more than 10 an hour.