1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much do you pay?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassBlaster, Mar 10, 2004.

1. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

I'm stacked up on spring clean-ups right now, and am looking at getting a buddy to help me out to get caught up.

How much do you guys pay your help in this situation?
  2. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

Pay him $7 or $8 an hour. If he can run all your equipment pay him more. If all he's going to do is shovel, rake or any other manual labor adjust the pay accordingly. My 2 cents. Good luck
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yup, what's he worth is your answer. if he can use all your stuff, and he's reliable, i'd start him at $10, if he proves worthy, bring him up to $12. i had guys i paid $6 an hour, they werent woth $2, i've had guys i paid $12, they were worth $20
  4. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

If he is your buddy hook em up....I have a good friend that helps me in the winter.... He works harder than I do.... I always take care of him..... at a minimum I would pay him 10-12..... If he's good and you'll need him again make it worth his time.... or next time he may not be so willing to help a brother out....

somebody I didnt know would be aorund 7 or 8......
  5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

since your going to be doing cleanups-8/hr is a good wage. once you see that hes good/reliable and hard working, dont hesitate to bump him to 8 or 9/hr.

if hes crap, keep it at 8.

but its kinda hard to keep a helper for under 8...@least here it is.
  6. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

10.00 per hour seems to retain my employee every year. I have paid less and recieved less in the past so i will stick with this amount...
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year I had an employee come to me and demand a raise(Was at the time paid $10 per hour), after all " You said I would be reviewed after 30 days of employment."

A smirk appeared on my chin...

I said "indeed you would be reviewed on the 30 days of employment mark."

I pulled out his file...I remarked "you haven't been here 30 consecutive days yet. You have a remarkable history of calling in sick 1 day per week."

"I been calling around and the average pay for cutters around here is $12 an hour," said he...

"Key work there is average" I replied. "Some cutters are being paid $16 per hour, some are receiving $8 per hour, the average is $12 per hour"

..."You should be receiving $8 per hour" I told the now deflated employee. "as a matter of fact here is a written warning that if you miss 1 more day within the next 30 days without a doctors excuse in hand, your employment will be terminated."

6 days later he was...
  8. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Wast no time in deadbeats
  9. DanThe Grass Man61

DanThe Grass Man61 LawnSite Member

$ 10.00 is the norm here in Cleveland too.
  10. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

Classic story SODKING