How much do you spend in Advertising per year?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MJK, Nov 5, 2006.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

Not including Shirts and Hats, and truck decals, which is good advertising.

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Thousands........Mailers, cards for those we did business with, coupons, ads in highschool play and local dance studio concert/recital programs. We get great responses from the school stuff.

3. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

$550 full page ad in 2 editions of the local pennysaver brings in too much business for us

4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

$1,100 last year. That price was for 8 weeks of an add in local paper with my logo, and 600 post card sized fliers with postage.

5. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

A little under $4,000.00 THIS YEAR

6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Hundreds, but not thousands.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

UP to 10% of gross is the budget, thou this year I got away with just under 1k, last year was closer to 3k, next year likely 1.2k...

It has to do with what works for one, I find myself throwing a few hundred and sometimes more into a new method just to see how well it works. Not just in number of calls (that is certainly important), but also the quality (% of people wanting something for nothing / time wasters vs. actual closures should be no worse than 9 / 10).
    In the end I almost always go back to my current m.o. thou, lol.

It also has to do with exposure, sometimes even with no results so long people see your name that is good.

Only once did I make the mistake of thinking I could rely on word of mouth alone.
    I vowed to never repeat this mistake again, I do and will advertise whether I need it, or not.

8. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

i cant figure it out is a simple 1/4 post card size flyer the best thing for getting residential lawns. I see people advertise everywere but at the end of the day is your money spent better witht he 1/4 page postcard. If you do the math i say it is almost cheaper to direct mail then pay someone to go around in a truck all day pay them 10$ per hour. It comes out cheaper with direct mail i think anyone else do the math. It comes out alittle cheaper for the truck going around thing but think wear and tear gas labor etc then if the guy who is doing it could be fu0cking you because he throws them away?

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely zero...in fact, we have never advertised since all our new work is by referral.

10. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

What have you guys found to be the most effective?