1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How much do you spend on fuel annually?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Somerville Sensation, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Must be nice, I can drop that much in one fill-up of my bulk tanks.

Over $70K last year. 6.7%

The way prices are this year, already at $42k. 5.6%

Really depressing.

2. Southern Heritage

Southern Heritage LawnSite Member

14k a month is what we budget for.

3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

About 14% of gross is what I run for gas for my one truck (F350 dually - gas guzzler) and the gas for equipment. But as others have stated its pretty much a meaningless number for someone else. Most of our lawns are pretty consolidated to a handful of areas which helps cut down on the gas use. We cut about 130 a week, then we do leaf removal in winter, not as busy as lawns but still pretty steady.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You have to do a cost versus benefit analysis.

I recently upgraded my 1995 F150 to a 2007 Chevy 1500. The old truck was getting about 9.5 MPG (city/highway towing a 4,000 pound trailer) and the new truck gets 13 MPG. That's a decrease of 27% in fuel costs. In 100,000 miles (the total distance I drove in the old truck) I spent about $36k in fuel at $3.50 per gallon. The new truck will spend about $25k at $3.50 a gallon. That's a savings of $11,000 over the "life" of the truck.

That is the Benefit portion.

Now for the Cost portion.

The new truck cost $12k. After the fuel savings are deducted the new truck will cost me $1,000.

This analysis could get a whole lot more in detail if I were to factor in expected repair costs of a truck with 150,000 miles on it versus a truck with only 60,000 miles on it. I could also factor in the actual cost of fuel over times versus using an average price. But since price inflation has become a normal part of our economy, it would actually work in favor of dollars saved with the new truck.

Attempting to recapture the costs of a propane upgrade to a mower or even a truck will be difficult. A through analysis should be done first.

5. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

an arm and a leg

6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

To be more efficient I only stop for fuel when it needs filling up.
    This is one fill up, I can do this twice a week during busy season.
    This year, busy season hasn't stopped.

It occurred to me while taking this picture, assuming your bank doesn't do it for you that it would be easier in terms of record-keeping to just snap a picture of the pump instead of keeping receipts.

422_663856316963394_32234152_n.jpg

7. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

lucky bastard. ;)

8. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

500 a month in the truck (diesel is worth the price of gold!!)

20 a day in the mower (one mower)
    that's 120 a week on a 6 day week
    that's 500 a month in the mower

4 gallons of mix gas a month so that's about 20 a month, including the oil

$1020 a month
    we mow for 9 months around here

--------------------------------
    $9200 per year

wow, it adds up don't it!!!

9. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

so far this year, I'm on track to use about the same amount as last year 10,000. I know I have gotten more accounts closer to accounts i already have. so the truck is using a little less but the added mowing, trimming and blowing is picking up the slack especially with all the rain we have been getting in ct.

10. Schrock Lawns

Schrock Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going through 456 gallons a month in busy season from just mowing so about 1600 a month so about 16k a year