1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much do you think this trailer is worth?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DQL10, Feb 14, 2011.

1. DQL10

DQL10 LawnSite Senior Member

Well the golf course neighborhood that I live in is considering selling their tandam axle Hudson trailer. This trailer is in pretty rough shape. Has sat for about 10 years and needs a lot of work. I am assuming it is going to need new deck boards, paint, wheel bearing, breaks, wires, and new lights. Attatched is a picture of how it looks. Opinions, suggestions are welcome.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i dunno maybe 500 bucks.
  3. mow4cash

mow4cash LawnSite Member

You could easily drop $1500 to fix her up...if its just some shoes,tires, bearings and wiring $600 which is my guess on what you would end up doing to get her useable. I would say for $500 you cant go wrong and a $1000 you might be in too deep but could still come out ok possibly.
  4. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesnt look all that bad, new tires, check the wires and brakes. The decking looks alright, coat of paint maybe
  5. DQL10

I havent really inspected this trailer nor tried to move it. Not 100 percent sure what kind of work it all needs. I was going to offer them 300 tops for it. Put some money into it and maybe try to sell it or just use it for whatever. I'm not even sure how much weight this trailer can actually hold.
  6. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't go more than a few hundred for it... sitting around that long can be harder on a trailer than driving it, for sure.
  7. DQL10

My concern is if its even worth buying and putting money into it.
  8. JerseyGreen

JerseyGreen LawnSite Member

that trailer is worth a lot more money that 500 bucks, around here that trailer would go for at least 1800 as is.
  9. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

well getting brakes and tires will eat into the price alot i would do $300 good way to figure it out see what it had cost new and go by that deprciate it get a price for brakes and tires floor boards paint is superfisal but it would look cleaner painted. that is how i would determin price.
  10. zabmasonry

zabmasonry LawnSite Senior Member
    from C. VT

I'd start with $100 bucks over the value of the trailer at the junkyard. Scrap is going at around $175 a ton here, so I'd say maybe $425. If it didn't look like it was that bad in person, I might go up to $700. With the work you outlined you could likely sell it for close to 3 grand (I'm assuming its tagged for 14,000 #s)