How much do your customers trust you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 9, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have one customer that lives out in California that owns two houses here in Michigan and has only been home a total of 3 weeks in the last 4 years. She has been a great customer of mine for now going on 10 years. She trusts me with everything. From helping her handle her real estate, dealing with other maintenance companies that serve her, and just recently being a house sitter for her. Yup, she sent me keys for her house and she wants me to check up on her house every once in a while and maintain things inside.

Anybody else have customers that really, really trust you?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe she'll adopt you too...lol

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no, they think i'm greedy, mean, and nasty. AND THAT'S, the way i like it

4. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

To damn much :p I have little old women giving me there garage codes and everything else. I would prefer them not because if something was to happen I may be held responsible ;)

5. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Thats funny, I live and work in southern California and one of my customers Summers in Michigan. She trusts me plenty, she lets me stay at their house in Lake Havasu Arizona when ever I want. Its Great!! I have been doing her yard about 20 years.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Well we have customers that we work for that live out of state, and yes they trust us to do the work that is agreed upon. But as far as getting keys to a customers house, I honestly wouldn't like that responsibility. Something could go wrong, and the next thing you know, you could be getting blamed for doing something that you weren't even involved in. So I don't think it's good to have a customer put that much trust into you. Just my opinion.

7. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 84 year old customer whose home was broken into just before I started working for them. When I started they wanted to give me a set of keys to the fence but i refuse because i didn't want the responsibility of keeping up with the keys. My key ring already looks like I'm the high school janitor.

Funny thing is these people live in a nice neighborhood and their next door neighbor is a city cop. Over the summer all of a sudden newspapers were being stolen from the front lawns. One day one house, next day another house. The cop has small surveillance cameras set up on the front corners of his house and they aren't really well hidden. He caught the guy that was stealing the papers and it turned out to be a grown man that lives in the neighbor hood and owns the mortgage on a $300k house. At first the guy denied it but then the cop showed him the video. Talk about embarrassing!

8. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I got one customer that is gone all season and trusts me enough that he pays me when I tell him his lawn is cut. Nobody trusts me enough to gives me keys or anything

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I have one customer that offered to loan me up to 5 grand for new equipment, if I was interested. She said I could just credit it to her account and basically be paid in full for a few years. She's pretty old, all I could think of was "what if she kicks the bucket a week later? Would anyone know about our arrangement..." Hmm. Haven't taken her up on it yet...

10. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are great. I haven't really had anyone trust me that much yet because I've only cut there lawns about 3 times! I just started and the season is already over.