How much does a licence cost you?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jasonj24680, Jan 6, 2007.

1. jasonj24680

jasonj24680 LawnSite Member

After figuring out that it costs quite a bit to get started I was curous as to how these other legal matters cost. I was curious about insurance as well but there can't be a straight answer for that. So How much cash woulod it cost to get a licence?

2. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

not sure but I think every state has a different amount for the license and depending on what type of work you will be doing and equiptment being used that will determine the cost of insurance

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Now this is a broad question. Are you talking business license? Landscape License? Lisensing your trailer?
    For me I have to have a business lisense in every city that I work. It runs from 50-125 per license for myself so it all depends on what the cities charge for you to do business.
    Total for the cities I do business in it costs me about 500 in licensing fees.
    As for insurance it depends on the area and what limits you get. I have 2 mil and runs about 450 a year.

4. jasonj24680

jasonj24680 LawnSite Member

Business licence was what I was refering to. I need to get a landscape licence as well? Trailer licence? What the??

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Here we have to license our trailer if it is over 3000 pounds? In your original question was vague so I had no Idea on what licensing you were talking about.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is no licensing here for maintenance operations and such. We do of course have DBA's, but isn't exactly the same thing. The DBAs run around 40 or 50 bucks, if I remember right. It's been quite awhile. As a matter of fact, I believe mine is due for renewal this year.
    Now, there is a Nurseryman's License throught the state dept. of agriculture that is required in Michigan for the purchase, transport, and resale of any nursery stock.That is about $50, if I remember right. Our pesticide applicator licensing is $100, and that is through our dept. of agriculture, as well.

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

No license required here for maintenance business either. I did have to pay to register the LLC which was like 150 bucks and I also had to get a seller's permit from the state which was like 30 bucks or something.

Now for pesticide application, you definitely have to have a license for that. I'm working on it at this point:)

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Joe that's a pretty red x in your sig!:)

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

A red X? What is it? Because it doesn't show up on mine to me. I DID have my logo there, but now I see it is gone. I wonder if this has anything to do with it? Maybe I'll ask Jodi.

10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I believe the fees for the state and federal gov't (I can't remember exactly who/when I filed with them years ago) was a few hundred bucks. Something like 300...ballpark

NJ Home Improvement Contractors license is a $75 annual fee. I believe its $150 when you first register and the 75 annual after that. However, if you are just doing lawn maintenance you don't need to file for that.

Our pesticide license is another annual fee...I forget how much that one is. I think its another 75 per year. But I had to pay fees for all of these classes and everything before I could take the exam. I'd say around 500 or so bucks.

Not sure what other licensing you are talking about. All in all I'd say between 500 and 1000.