1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much does an unemplyment clain cost?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, May 16, 2012.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Is an unemployment claim expensive on your ins premiums?
  2. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I was wondering the same thing as I'm about to let one employee go.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

Only claim I ever had got denied. Didn't cost me anything except a little of my time on the phone for a "fact finding interview" with someone from the unemployment commission.
  4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Our work is seasonal here in NY so I wouldnt mind if my help recieved unemployment for that time but if it costs me another $500 a year I'll just use help less than the minimum amount for unemployment.
  5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

My guys use the lack of work loophole to collect all winter. So as a result of that I get to pay the max rate of 6.9% instead on 1.9% here. So that's an additional 5000 dollars for every 100k in payroll. Hope that helps as you can see its more expensive then you might think but its a hidden cost.
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

A friend of mine has a handyman service that typically runs 3-4 trucks. A few years ago, when the Winter workload was slow, and he laid off a couple of his people. They collected unemployment during their time off, and his rates skyrocketed the next year. He concluded he should keep his people around all Winter doing little (working only hours as necessary), but paying for full-time work, rather than be burdened with high unemployment rates.

It may be a tough call on the balance. The problem is finding out beforehand may be difficult.
  7. blue_thumb

blue_thumb LawnSite Member
    from NV

It depends on how long the employee worked for you, how much he gets paid etc. It varies from case to case and of course, state to state