How much does everyone pay employee's?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Dunn's, May 18, 2006.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

How much does everyone pay their employee's? Just wanting to know if we are about average or not. Right now we are paying $8.50 for start out employees.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno, I never understood this part...

I mean, I draw a salary of one thousand dollars a month, and with the hours I work, the only pay for an employee that doesn't exceed my own pay is minimum wage.

Some of the big guys around here pay 6.50 - 7 / hour, the only ones who pay more and a lot more are the small guys...
    Never understood it.

3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I normally pay $8 an hour. With the great luck I've had with employees I am going to start paying less if I ever get someone again. 7-7.50, if they don't like it, no job.

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

wow...$7-8 an hour? I personally would never work a labor intensive job for anything less then $10 an hour.

5. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

Hell I wouldn't even work it for that! At the funeral home, I was used to sitting on my ass all day and browsing the net for $15 an hour.:cool2:

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

you couldn't pay me $100 an hour to sit inside all day and be bored.

7. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Ditto.
    To much money is being made not to pay a fair wage. $10.00 should be about the min, unless you are talking about a 15 yr. old kid or something?

8. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Uhhhh. I'll take that job.

I don't pay by the hour.

I pay by the job.

9. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I pay by the job.

It works out to about $15 per hour for my helper and $21 per hour for my forman.

As far as I can tell, I am much higher than average both in wages and productivity.

10. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

I'm the same way. They work faster, especially after a layoff due to weather. They finish faster, which means I am finished faster. They also don't get paid if the yard doesn't meet my OCD criteria.