How Much Does it Cost to Own a Website??

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Benz2328, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Benz2328

Benz2328 LawnSite Member

First time thinking about purchasing a domain. What am I looking at spending? How much does a typical domain run? (.com) Give me some websites.. and is there other fees that I have to pay??? I've see some that say $9.99 per year!? Is that b.s? Thanks

I'll design it myself i'll look for free templates or something

2. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

Check out Yahoo site builder. I built a website for my Dad's company and it was really easy. I want to say that it was around $30/month to host it through yahoo, which is only $360/year. That is pretty reasonable and you can change it yourself anytime you want.

3. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I set up my site with NetworkSolutions a few years ago. I renewed a few months ago for around $120 for the year. That included the domain and hosting. I'm thinking about hosting with a local company. I know the hosting is about the same price but has the added benefit of not having to deal with distant tech support if I have issues. I'm tired of being a number!

4. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

The domain is usually around 10 a year but you also have to host it on a server. They used to be around 20/month but are now down to 7 or 8 a month. Godaddy is my server. Around $100 for the year, and they include SQL and mySQL servers with that acocunt (used for message boards like this one, etc.) Linux or Windows. Etc... They are a good buy IMHO.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'd figure about $10 a month for the basics.

On another track I am considering offering my own server for hosting low-impact sites at a cost of $5 a month,
    but I'm still chewing on this...

6. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

I pay $10/year for the domain, and $9.99/month for hosting. I found a very good host, excellent customer service, and a very nice guy that owns the company, too. Definitely worth paying extra for, and my site has very low downtime. My site currently uses about 1.5GB bandwidth per month.

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I use hostmonster.com after having been disappointed by some others. They're great. Buying the domain name is $10 or so, though often they do it free for new customers on the first year.

I host 4 websites from my domain, and it costs me $6.95/month.

Never down, customer service is fast and personal, and they speak English as their native language!!! It's a UT based company and they're great to use.

8. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

mine is hosted by microsoft small business live. its free. registering the domain was free also.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

That's a lot of $$ for such a rudimentary website... But, then again, sometimes it's cheaper to pay someone else than to do it yourself...

I built mine one winter a few years back...