1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much does it take to tip over on a skid loader?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by IHI, Feb 25, 2007.

1. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

Just curious, cuz the other day I was demoing one and took the left fron tire over a snow berm without really knowing it. I was able to back it down soon enough, but I thought I was going to go over backwards and was thankful I didn't go over backwards.

So, how much (little) does it take to tip one? Just cuz of that stunt, I may be considering a small front-end loader instead.
  2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

That depends on many factors. Experience running one, not only general experience but specific machine experience as they all have different handling characteristics. Other factors are type of attachment or lack there of on the front. Sometimes when the front wheels come off the ground it may like your going over. The reality is the back of the machine will bottom out and stop you from going all the way over. I have brought one to that point more times than I care to count, with over 13K hours in one I have yet to flip one or tip one over. It may scare you, but they are not as unstable as it may feel sometimes.
  3. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke LawnSite Member

They are kinda of hard to tip over backwards in normal conditons cause they hit the rear door/skid plate I have had one endo over frountwards when it was alittle over its capcity. I do hate that feeling thow like its going to flip over. What kinda of machine did you demo?
  4. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

It is an oldie - 91 753 with cab/heat for about 10.5 - has about 1800 hours.
    I think I might just go with a new one for about double the price with a warranty. I've been looking for the last month or so and most of the used are either junk or way to high priced w/o no warranty.
  5. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke LawnSite Member

Yeah Bobcats tend to get beat on alot. I was in the dealer the other day I think they have a zero intrest for 48 months deal going on right now. What machine are you looking at?
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A 753 with that many hours and that age is worth about $8K at most.
  7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

My first machine was a 753 good machine but with out tracks on hill sides can be very limited. After that machine we went to the longer wheel base 763 and now 185. I borrowed a 753 from a friend not to long ago and forgeting what it was was embarrased a few times. The short wheel base would be a good machine to learn on if you can master the others will be natural.
  8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to opt for a turbo model. I am not sure what your elevation is where your at, but without a turbo here and performance really suffers and fuel usage goes up. Also depends on how hard you plan on working it.
  9. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like the others have said, it will hit on the bottom of the door. You can roll one if you are on a hill much easier. Also, keep the bucket down as much as possible when your carrying a load, especially if the bucket/attachment is loaded. Your best chances of rolling are when you're in reverse with a full bucket in the air, and you're on a slope or hill. Bad combination.:nono:
  10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I was always told try push the machine to its limits because you need to know how far it will go. I did that with the JCB backhoe I ran for most of the year I pushed it and I damn near crapped myself.

The thing I don't like about skid steers is not being able to see behind you easily your always backing up blind. I don't know how guys can run a skid steer for a long period of time it beats you up worse than a rubber tired backhoe.