How Much Does It Take???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Gatewayuser, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year I used a back pack sprayer and just spot treated this year I decided to get a tank sprayer. The question is how many gallons does it take to spray an acre using momentum? Also how much product do you use per gallon of water? Thanks for any help and I already tried the search:D!

2. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I'll assume you're licensed and just forgot what you learned in the class.

Momentum FX is applied at 1.1 to 1.5 oz/k sq ft, using .5 to 5 gallons/k sq ft. How much mixed product you apply will depend on the equipment you're using. If you're spraying at 1 gal/min and walking at 1000 sq ft/min, then you'd mix it at 1.1 to 1.5 oz/gallon of water.

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

it depends on a few things, the psi of your sprayer, walking speed, nozzle size. I have mine set up to spray 1 gal per k. you need to measure off 1000 sf and see how long it takes you to spray it, then spray the same amount of time in a bucket and measure how much volume you sprayed. you can adjust your nozzle,pressure or walking speed accordingly to get to the gallon amount you want.

4. Gatewayuser

Thats what I thought but it just seemed like some much product, boy I sure was making a killing in spot treatments!
    Yes I am licensed I have cat 8 turf, 6A orna and tree pest, 6C orna weed control and 6D green house(which I did just for fun) and I have a 1,000,000 insurance for it too.
    Thanks for your answer!:waving:

5. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

If you have never used a skid sprayer before, I sugesst that you use a 3 or no less than a 2 gpm nozzle on you sprayer. it gives you a broader margin for error if your just starting out.

6. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Gateway,

Happy to help, hope I didn't insult you with the licensing crack.:waving: Have fun with Momentum! It is expensive, but does a great job. Your cost per 1000 sq ft should be well under a buck, make sure you charge enough to make a few.payup

7. Gatewayuser

Na you did not insult me. Momentum seemed to work great last year but I'm thinking about using speedzone because the other does not take care of violets. I was thinking of charging $4-6 per k depending on lawn size. Thanks again.

8. Gatewayuser

Just like they say to in the book I will be sure to do that. Thanks!:waving:

9. Gatewayuser

Yes, I think that would and will be a wise thing to do. Thanks!

10. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Example: 2 gpm per 1000 sq ft. (measure and time yourself)
    43.5 1000 sq ft units per acre.
    43.5 x 2= 87 gallons to spray an acre.
    1.1 rate x 43.5= 47.85 oz per acre
    43.5 divide by 87= .55 0z per gallon of water.