How much does it weigh, and will this tow it?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rutwad, Aug 12, 2006.

1. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

What is the approximate weight of a tandem axle dual wheel goosemeck in the 20-30 ft range? Anybody have one and know the weight/length?

I need to haul almost 13k. Would I have any issues with a new 3/4 ton GM diesel/allison set-up. I'm in SCentral AL, so the hills aren't bad at all.

2. PerennialSuccess

PerennialSuccess LawnSite Member

Big Tex 12k tandem goosenecks:

20' 4625#
    22' 4985#
    24' 5340#
    26' 5695#

I think there won't be too much problem with that truck towing this setup. Dunno how often I would tow 13k on a 5.5k trailer on a SRW truck though.
  3. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

12k is all they're good for?
  4. cet

cet LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

Have you gone to their web site? The first 2 numbers in the model # tell you how much the GVWR is. From 12,000lbs to 25,000lbs. I see that you also posted this at You might have better luck over there, it is a great site.
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

The truck won't have a problem towing it, just mkae sure your trailer brakes work and you have a decent controler. Secondly DOT won't care how well the truck tows it if your are of your max GVW or combination weight.
  6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're not concerned about exceeding your rear axle weight and GVWR, the powertrain will probably handle the load OK. Timbrens or airbags will help with rear end sag. Your total towed load will probably be around 18K, with 3-3.5K on the pin. That's a lot for a 2500HD, and will put you well over the truck's rating. You may want to upgrade tires, or better yet get a 3500 with duals. Be careful, if your gross combined weight exceeds 26000 you'll be in the CDL zone.
  7. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

The 3/4 ton's GVWR is 9200lbs. Payload is 3163lbs. So the pin weight sounds fine if it doesn't do over 3163, right?

The GCWR is 22k. If the truck weighs 6k, then I only have 16k left for trailer AND load. Will the DOT check my weight compared to this. Say if I was at 23k or so, would I be fined?

As far as the 26000 lbs to meet the CDL requirements, is this based on actual weight? Or potential capacity?

The reason I ask is because the DOT is really getting stricter here in AL, maybe nationwide?

thanks guys!!!!:drinkup:
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If you weigh one pound over GCWR then you will be fined.
  9. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

It's based on gross weight.
    You will need a CDL in all 50 states if....

A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than
    26,000 pounds.

A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross
    combination weight rating is more than 26,000 pounds.

A vehicle designed to transport more than 15 persons (including the

Any size vehicle which requires hazardous materials placards.
    (Your state may have additional definitions of CMVs.)
  10. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Crap :hammerhead: :hammerhead: , looks like I will need a CDL and a dually. It's not the route I wanted to take, but I'm sure it pays to be within the limits of the law.