How much does mulch weigh

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cfrymow, Mar 1, 2008.

1. cfrymow

cfrymow LawnSite Member

Little new to landscaping and was wondering about how much a yard of mulch weighs. I no it depends if its wet or dry just need a rough estimate so I no what I can put on some of my trailers, don't want to over load them.

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

If mulch is dry you can put all you want. and you will be under weight.:waving:

3. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

normal, 800 lbs a yard....mulch is usually fairly damp unless it has been very dry for a few weeks....saturated wet.....about 900lbs a yard....these numbers should keep you legal when loading your trailer

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

That seem correct to me....and you will probably never go over weight on your trailer..

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

What is "dry" mulch? here in the south the mulch is moist at all times steams even in the heat of summer. Are you all talking about Double hammerd bark mulch? cause mulch down here is heavy 1,300lbs a yard

6. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The past two summers here we have had very dry periods for 6-8 weeks. The mulch in the stock piles dries to almost no moisture, even if you stir it.
    Even when saturated wet, I'm glad the mulch around here doesn't weigh 1300lbs a yard. I'd need to take the truck and trailer to the gym :weightlifter:...:laugh:

7. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

You will run out of room on your trailer before its overloaded.

We put 12 to 14 yds and a one ton truck and the over load springs are hardy touching.

8. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

700-1200#s all depends on how wet it is.

9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Alot.................

10. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Also depends if it is colored or not. We can get 100 yards of natural delivered by semi, but they will only load 85 yards of colored because of DOT regulations.