1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much down for commercial landcape installs

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by newleaflandscape, Jan 3, 2004.

1. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering how much you get down before you start when doing a commercial install. I always get 50 percent down from resedential but every contractor i work with seems to want to do things different. Just wondering how most of you handle it. Thanks.
  2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi NewLeaf,

Here is a quote from this post.

"I know most guys ask for 50% of the price of a landscape install up front with the other 50% due within a matter of days of completion."
  3. newleaflandscape

I was refering to how much down when refering to commercial accounts for general contractors and such not resedential work.
  4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

all money down for parts/plants. so in case they bug out on you, you'll only have to pay for your own time.
  5. newleaflandscape

Ya i have been working on an account and the company told me that they never pay their contractors more then five percent down
    But I have asked around and they are suppost to be a pretty reputable company been around for more then twenty years, I am just a bit weary though. Its a fairly large project too
  6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

If over $500, I require all the material be paid for in advance...
  7. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

I've always though you should make your own policy not let the customer decide. If they are good for it they will pay for at very least 50% up front. I've had a few HOA"s that I knew were not in black ink so once they agreed with my price I asked to see their bank statement or pay at least half up front. Turns out they raised their dues and showed me their statement. Beter safe than sorry. You have to remember everyones been burnt at some point so as long as you are professional they should'nt get upset when you ask for a deposit or proof that they can pay. We all know that when you go to buy a home they have to run a credit check. If someone got mad and said "what you don't think i'm going to pay well fine i'll take my business elsewhere" do you think the bank would say well ok. Doesn't work that way in banking doesn't work that way with us! Money talks or the customers can walk.