how much fertalizer on irrigated lawns??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jonspolaris, Mar 7, 2001.

1. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

hi all im a Newbi here.
    i need to know how much fertalizer i should apply to a subdivison that is Irrigated. i havent done irrgated ones yet. the area is about 3 acres of land, in southeast michigan. the subdivison is Irrigated 20 minutes every morning. the owners there said that the old company dident put enough fertalizer on and it did very little good. they said because of all the water that the fertalizer goes right through the soil, especiall if its liquid. the area is pretty sunny so if they dont irrigate it it dries out. Also what Mix( like how much nitrogen,phospate,and potassium) would u recomend for a lawn like this??

thanks

2. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

1st of all,,you shouldn't water every morning..1" or so of water a week is about right for most grasses, and it is best to deep soak,so water until runoff or 1" then no more.
    (sounds like you have sandy soil, I have Red clay, big diff)

next fertilizer will not help drowned grass!!!But if it is very sandy you could be losing nutrientes very quickly, as a rule most grasses need 1 to 2 lbs of N per 1000 sq ft.

but the best thing you can do is get a soil sample and send it off .

this prob hasn't helped much, but I tried
    Dennis

3. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

thanks for our help

the grass is planted in topsoil, but overall the soil is sandy. there are only 1 mile from the beach. they dont seem to have any standing water on the site either.

i found out that there sprinkler heads are Hunter PCP(i think), would that have anything to do with how efficent the spriklers water the lawn??

what would u recomend for there watering cycle??

thanks

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

The soil it more key than the irrigation.

I could've told you that you were dealing with a sandy sub-base from your first post.

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:

All soils have a Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC) that is measured in all soil tests. This number (3-30) tells you the soils ability to HOLD nutirents and TRANSFER them to the grass plant.

Generally SANDY soils have a LOW number (3-8). LOAM soils have a middle number (10-15) and CLAY soils have a HIGH number (18-30).

Bottom line is that soils with a low CEC need more fertilizer more often. The irrigation comes into play because a SANDY soil needs more water, too, which quickly washes out nitrogen from the soil profile.

The good news is a heavily watered sandy soil with frequent nitrogen applications can be an excellent growing environment.