How Much Fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Spurgeon, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Spurgeon

Spurgeon LawnSite Member
    from KY

I have 45,000 square feet in my yard. How much fertilizer and what kind do I use? My lawn consists of a mix of fescue, white clover and ky blue grass. I want to keep cost in mind but do want a nice lawn.

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll probably need about 5.5 bags, 6 would be safe, I think, of the 50 lb. Lesco fert. If no Lesco nearby, try Home Depot, or go Scotts, I guess. Were you out for weed control too?

3. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

The typical application coverage for Lesco pre emergent is 12,500 sq ft for 50 lb, I believe.

4. superfert

superfert LawnSite Member

It depends on the coverage per bag and the Rate of N per 1000 that you would like to acheive. For example a bag of LESCO fert with an N of 32 will cover 16,000 sq feet @ 1lb of n per/1000. So to answer your question you would only need 2.8 or 3 bags to cover the 45,000 sq ft. Hope that helps.

5. Spurgeon

Spurgeon LawnSite Member
    from KY

Thank You for your responses. I am only interested in fertilization. I have taken care of the weed problem to some extent. Will spray again later this spring. There is a Lesco dealer in Lexington Ky. I will check with them tomorrow.

6. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Great. I was figgerin' on 8k sf/bag k.

7. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

:eek: i wouldn't light my lawn up with 32 n in the spring. i would ease into spring,otherwise you might be mowing your lawn twice a week. we use 19-3-7 in northern IL. with a crab grass pre-emergent in it.and our 50 lbs. of lesco fert goes about 10,000 sq ft. a bag i believe.but if you have a leso in your area, go and ask one of their sales people.they are really good with puting a program together for ya!

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I am very fortunate to have a Lesco dealer nearby. I let them tell me what fertilizer to use for the peticular time of year. I use their spreader and products so there is no guesswork.