how much for a 72" bad boy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hitecredneck, Mar 6, 2008.

1. hitecredneck

hitecredneck LawnSite Member

what kind of markup on the bad boys? kubota is ~28% I can get a zd-331 for $12350(list 14500)
    but a local dealer is pushing bad boy at list?

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Bad Boy doesnt play the game that other companies play. Bad Boy's suggested retail price is actually a VERY reasonable price. Which model are you looking at in the Bad Boy lineup? The 28 or the 35? IIRC, the margin is around 18% on those models at suggested retail price.

When you see the 28% margin on the Kubota and then see the "discount" the dealer has put on it, you're supposed to feel like you're getting a deal.

3. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, Bad Boy is set up a little different than other companies, they don't try to get a few suckers with a high mark-up, and then "promo price" sales to draw customers. They have one very reasonable price. It is very rare you will ever see a Bad Boy marked down unless it is last year's model, or it is a demo. Their price bracket is just not made for that. It usually is a simple "this is the price" and that is it. I like the program alot, I don't think it is fair that other companies take advantage of "suckers" that don't like to negotiate. It is sad, we landscaped a Dentist's yard here locally, and he said he can't go to any local car dealerships here because they don't give him any discounts. He honestly has to drive to a different area to look at cars, and just not mention what he does to get a better deal. If you step back and look at that situation it is pretty sorry. I went to the same dealership and got a Brand new 1500 Dodge for $10999. When I told him about it, he went there to get the same deal to have a runaround truck. They honestly priced him the same exact truck with the same options for $17999 and wouldn't budge a bit. I felt awful.... I had to go up there and tell them that i wanted a another truck to get the same price. I put the truck in my name, then transferred the title later. With BB there is one price for a "cutter" and the same price for a "regular joe".
    $11595 will get you the 72" 28hp Cat diesel and $12695 will get you the 35hp 4 cylinder 72" period without any runaround or 100th customer discount...lol.

4. hitecredneck

kubota's 0% for 42 months may make the difference but I really like the bad boy 72 w/ liquids cool and the diesels.

5. tb8100

from TX

That Kubota is nice, but the Bad Boy is a much more cush ride with the 4 wheel suspension and Michigan 5300 suspension seat, and is built alot more rugged. The Bad Boy also has 16L hydro pumps and 18ci wheel motors, vs the Kubota's transmissions. Solid 1/4" (5ga.) deck, 15mph ground speed to the Kubota's 10.5, 18gal fuel capacity to the Kubota's 12.5, and much much more. Overall, the Bad Boy is alot more rugged and productive for similar money. Is that price for a 2008 331? That's a better price than I've seen around these parts.

6. hitecredneck

yes, I have that kubota price in writing

7. tb8100

from TX

That 31hp on the Kubota is a good engine if it's anywhere as reliable as the 25hp. What's the torque output though? I can't find it anywhere. Usually ~30hp 3 cylinders put out about 50lb-ft torque, but this one may put out more. This 35hp 4 cylinder CAT puts out 70lb-ft peak.

8. hitecredneck

torque # is not in the brochure

9. tb8100

from TX

Just noticed this- the Bad Boy weighs in at 1550#, whereas the Kubota is 1820#. I don't know where all the weight is on that Kubota. Maybe alot in that transmission? Or the metal body. They both have the same rear tire and wheel combination- 26x12x12 Turf Masters. The Bad Boy has better accessibility. All your belts can be accessed in snap. The hydro belt can be gotten to without unbolting anything. Just pull a rubber clasp and the rear guard swings out.

The Bad Boy also uses a better air intake system. They use the Enginaire VLR (Very Low Restriction) 4 stage filter with an integrated precleaner. This filter is MASSIVE and does a fantastic job!

[​IMG]

http://www.enginaire.com/integrated.htm

10. hitecredneck

I agree. Is the optional rops worth the extra $500. other options that are woth it?