how much for a fert program?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, May 13, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a long time mowing client, who does his own ferts, and screws up his lawn every year, asked me to take over. i gave him a price of $225 for his 3k property, no grub treatment included. "wow, that's high " he said. "how bout if i buy the stuff, and u put it down for me?" oh goody, where do i sign up for this task? would you?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Let him know that it is the same price regardless of whose chemicals you use. By putting down any chemical, you are still responsible for the results. If something goes wrong, who's to blame & who has to fix the problem - you do. The liability still rests on your sholders & your insurance company.

3. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I have a few that I treat.
    A yardman who applies a pesticide to the lawn or ornamental plants of an individual residential property is exempted from licensing and certification requirements if the yardman applies pesticides owned and supplied by the individual property owner. The yardman cannot advertise for or solicit pest-control business and cannot hold himself out to the public as being engaged in pest control. The yardman cannot supply his own pesticide application equipment, use pesticide-applying power equipment or use any equipment other that a handheld container when applying the pesticide.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This could not be any farther from the truth....If it were, this would be the biggest loophole in Dept. of Ag history. As a matter of fact, you could use the "property owner's" product right after YOU sold it and delivered it to him. Who is to regulate that...That is a "loophole" myth that many of many people have believed and many of many people have been corrected on it - many of tes by state agents.

5. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

If it's not worth your time then let it be. If you need the money figure how much he wants to take off.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

before i was licensed, i tried this "loophole". i gave my attorney the written law, then hit him with, "well, what if i just say the customer bought......" he cut me off and snapped, "hey , sh!tforbrains, u wanna stay out of trouble? DON'T LOOK FOR LOOPHOLES! and don't do anything wrong"

7. ProMo

Florida statute 482.211-11

8. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Florida statute 482.211
    ..exemptions:
    (11) A yard worker when applying a pesticide to the lawn or ornamental plants of an individual residential property owner using
    pesticides owned and supplied by the individual residential property owner, provided the yard worker does not advertise for or solicit pest
    control business and does not hold herself or himself out to the public as being engaged in pest control. The yard worker may not supply
    her or his own pesticide application equipment, use pesticide-applying power equipment, or use any equipment other than a handheld
    container when applying the pesticide.

Remember: these laws are different from state to state. Although you had better read the last part carefully, ProMo. No spreader you own, know machinery, a backpack sprayer is pushing it to the limit, probably over the limit.

9. ProMo

I have read it carefully. I am licensed for shrubs and have customers pick up what I need as far as the lawn goes

10. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd be interested to know how you do it without using your own equipment, beyond what is a "handheld container".