How much for a Used Exmark Viking?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Feb 19, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's the situation: One of my neighbors has an old (like early 90's) 36" Exmark Viking (belt drive) with a 12 HP Kawi engine. Anyway, her husband died a few weeks ago, and her and her son are moving. They're selling the Exmark in the Spring. Anyway, how much would you pay for it? It runs pretty well, but could use a tune up. He bought it from a local landscaper, but It's in pretty good shape. I don't really need another mower, but I wouldn't mind having a backup. How much would you pay?

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Maybe 300-500 tops

3. mkwl

Anyone else? What should I look for when buying it (what parts fail on these older models)?

4. mkwl

Anyone?:help: ;)

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would check the spindles and the trans! Is the machine gear drive with a peerless trans or is it a variable speed system?

6. mkwl

I'll have to check the spindles. What is the best way to check the spindles? I think it has the variable speed gearbox. It has the single drive belt (not the dual drive belts).

7. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I just bought mine with a 15 h/p for about $500 so about 400 would be good for that setup.

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

When did the eXmark Viking become a belt drive? - I bought a new one about 2001, and it is hydro. Did they call a belt drive in the 90's a Viking??????

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I would ask the same question as Flex ... I bought my Exmark Viking in 1996, a hydro unit. The belt drive was the Metro model. At least this is what I think it was then. It has been this way for the recent past. But, maybe the model designations were different in early 90s. If I remember, the XM Viking 36" mower had two engine choices in 1996, 15hp Kohler, 14hp Kaw. Since this one has a 12hp, changes were made in the years after 1990, and perhaps the desingations were changed too.

The name does not matter -- the condition of the engine and machine is what is important. Remember, repair parts may be hard to find for a machine that old.

10. mkwl

Well, I think it is a 1992 model. It has the smaller gas tank (like 2 gal). The engine seems to be in fair shape, though it needs a tune up (oil change, filters etc.). I don't really need another backup mower, but I figured another WB wouldn't hurt. Would $250 be fair?